Topic Options
#11615 - 08/09/02 12:24 PM Tobacco and chicken parasites
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had an older gentlemen from KY come today and buy all my marans cool and while here he told me that he uses the tobacco leaves and stalks for pest control in his chicken houses. He puts a leave under each nest and under the litter and hangs the stalks from the ceiling says it keeps bugs off his chickens. confused Now I know that a very potent pesticide is made with tobacco; what I don't know is if using the tobacco as he suggests will hurt the chickens? If they eat it? Thanks in advance. frown

#11616 - 08/09/02 03:15 PM Re: Tobacco and chicken parasites
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
I've heard of that. I've been told that the tobacco isn't good for the chickens. I cant say why or if it is a fact. I just decided not to use it myself. Maybe some one else knows more about it. Hope this helps.

Bill

#11617 - 08/10/02 05:53 AM Re: Tobacco and chicken parasites
Bruce Smith Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Michigan
Tobacco stalks are like wood, and take years to break down even outside, so ther's no danger of them bothering the birds. The leaf under the nest sounds like a good idea to me. There isn't anything to attract chickens to a tobacco leaf, but there is a lot about it to keep bugs away. Years ago, Black Leaf 40 was one of the most widely used pesticides around the farm. The main ingredient was nicotine sulfate. Today, some organic people will use tobacco tea to kill nearly any kind of insect. It works. Since the method described above keeps the leaf dry and mostly out of the way of the chickens, it ought to repel bugs nicely without bothering the chickens.
About 1900 my grandfather cut the end of his finger off between the nail and the first knuckle while splitting kindling, leaving it attached only by a short piece of skin. His mother put sugar on the finger and wrapped it in a tobacco leaf, then tied it on with a string. The finger grew back together with all function and feeling restored. I saw the scar myself many times.

#11618 - 08/10/02 09:43 AM Re: Tobacco and chicken parasites
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Now I know where I heard the negetive about tobacco use. Dr. Smith mentioned Black Leaf 40 and that jogged my memery. From Chicken Health Handbook "The use of nicotine sulfate on poultry has been banned in some states because it is highly toxic if spilled on the skin of chickens(or humans)."

Of course a tobacco leaf or stalk isn't quite the same thing confused Many things are safe when used correctly but are taken off the market because people dont follow directions. Thats my two cents. Hope its helpful.

Bill

#11619 - 08/10/02 01:09 PM Re: Tobacco and chicken parasites
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks guys that clarifies it. we planted our big tobacco crop (5 plants) this year since we are in Tn and thought it would be a hoot to have our 'bacco crop too! My hubby was going to use some of the leaves to make tea for next year, like you said. I think I'll try the rest in the pens, although I really haven't had any chicken lice, mites or other parasites. My birds free range in the day and are penned at night and it seems like all the natural stuff they eat and all the dirt they roll on keeps them healthy. When I first saw them eating poke berries I thought they'd all be dead by morning, but come to find out the old timers around here swear by it to keep their birds worm free and so far its worked here. And Bill I sure agree with following directions, most people don't and thats what seems to land lots of them in trouble.
J Tallon

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2