Topic Options
#116618 - 05/10/17 07:26 AM Cuckoo Orpingtons
HeritageHens Offline
Feather

Loc: Vermont
Hi,
I have recently acquired some Cuckoo Orpington chicks and am interested in learning about their genetic background. I would truly appreciate hearing about the cuckoo factor in general, and also what the breeders did with standard Orpingtons to introduce the cuckoo genetics.
Thank you.

#116626 - 05/19/17 12:27 PM Re: Cuckoo Orpingtons [Re: HeritageHens]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Up to now there have been described 3 different barring alleles in the barring locus(see recent thread from Kazjaps). Who knows how many more are present out there. Traditionally people always ascribed the more crisp barring of Barred Plymouth Rocks to slow feathering, unlike more blurred barring of rapidly feathering leghorns. But I do not recall any papers, whether it was scientifically proved. At some point somebody mentioned , that the Columbian gene was extracted from SQ Barred PR, but I'm not sure how it could make the barring more crisp.

In many texts you can read "black and white bars". Personally I have only seen 1 bird in my life that was close to this description(and it was leghorn! at Danish National). It looked very unusual. My eyes usually perceive the bars as dark grey vs light grey.

And of course it is sex-linked( hen 1 gene, cock 2 genes when homozygous)

#116631 - 05/21/17 12:57 AM Re: Cuckoo Orpingtons [Re: Wieslaw]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
I forgot to add something. I do not know from which breed the barring was borrowed to create Cuckoo Orpingtons, but usually people outcross to a breed which is MOST SIMILAR to the breed in question, and then breed back to the desired type.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69