Topic Options
#116636 - 05/24/17 05:46 AM New to geese, drake has a shaky neck?
Terri Offline
New Egg

Loc: USA/CO
Hi!
I'm new to geese and they have taken my attention off my chickens! I just love these beautiful and happy birds. I ordered them a few months ago. They are app 14 weeks old and fully feathered.

I am concerned about the drake? His neck shakes frequently and he has a low "peep" sound that he does over long periods of time that the others do not have. In all fairness he does this more directly after I leave the flock, but I can hear him doing this at night for the first couple of hours when they are put in their pen.
They are all very tame and love attention. BUT something is not right......I have checked his crop but not to the extent I would a chicken. Not as confident as to what to look for. He seems healthy and happy but the neck shaking and ongoing odd peeps are unsettling......could this be an illness or something he got impacted in the crop? I am at a loss what to check for in illnesses or issues in geese.

I've tubed my chickens that have on occasion been impacted but a gooses neck...............does anyone have any thoughts on the shaking neck? Is this normal? It's not all the time........I have heard geese are very bad at finding the wrong things to ingest. I caught him pulling on a piece of nylon I used to repair the poultry fence. So far I see none missing but that too is a concern...They free range in electric poultry netting that is not hot.

#116637 - 05/26/17 12:43 PM Re: New to geese, drake has a shaky neck? [Re: Terri]
Redcap Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Germany
I am not firm with water birds, but I would advise You to look for a trained/skilled geese expert (I had/have mine for Chickens since 10-15 Years) in Your area, who can visit You and coach You in such situations.
Sorry, that I can't help really. All I could do, would be to Google for You. But I guess You can do this as good as I can.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw