Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#116657 - 06/07/17 12:02 PM Re: Barring on Euskal Oiloa chickens (Basque) [Re: KazJaps]
Shaneb99 Offline
New Egg

Loc: Alberta
The Vasca Rohan Barrada in the link look different from the pictures of Euskal-Oiloa I've seen. They have much more distinct barring whereas many pictures online are very pale cream to buff. There is a Euskal-Oiloa forum but unfortunately it's largely inactive.

#116700 - 06/29/17 05:41 AM Re: Barring on Euskal Oiloa chickens (Basque) [Re: Shaneb99]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
The Zwalm Valley fowl is a s+ gold based breed with both B sex-linked barring & autosomal barring. There's a photo at the following website:
http://users.telenet.be/jaak.rousseau/english%20version/grote_hoenders/hoen_van_de_zwalmvallei.htm

Notice how they have white and gold barring on the neck (plus white barred on the body). You only get that white-barred pattern from the B sex-linked barring gene, when s+ gold is present.

#116701 - 06/29/17 06:16 AM Re: Barring on Euskal Oiloa chickens (Basque) [Re: KazJaps]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

The following Aviculture article (mostly on Braekel) also has some photos of Zwalm Valley fowl:
http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/14E01A14.pdf

* Interesting that the Zottegem - autosomal barred hens have black head /upper neck (feathers) yet the roosters don't, instead have silver or gold only.

#116702 - 06/29/17 07:14 AM Re: Barring on Euskal Oiloa chickens (Basque) [Re: KazJaps]
Robbie Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Ontario Canada
Thanks KazJaps. I wonder what it is about some of the Marrunda hens that makes their barring so indistinct on the body feathers? This is what I mean, you can barely see it on this hen. There's no barring on the tail, either.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/Naturespace/goose_zps13bfb746.png

#116703 - 06/29/17 09:52 AM Re: Barring on Euskal Oiloa chickens (Basque) [Re: Robbie]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
It's not only Marrunda hens. I had a mutt who practically lost barring on pheomelanin after the first molting.

As a chick
http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz261/wieslawl59/Chicks/BarredVolwerk2.jpg

As an adult:

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz261/wieslawl59/Columbian%20restriction/DSC03906.jpg

#116705 - 06/29/17 05:06 PM Re: Barring on Euskal Oiloa chickens (Basque) [Re: Wieslaw]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

It is interesting Robbie that this hen doesn't have obvious barring on the black tail either. Sort of a head to tail gradient happening, like happens with Bl/bl+ hens too. Mind you, she is very light barred on the neck also.

Did your hen Wieslaw also lose barring on the tail?

I imagine part of it has to do with the differences of the cuckoo phenotype - not clean white bars but lighter pigment (both eumelanin & phaeomelanin), compared to crisper exhibition barred with clean white bars. With the cuckoo pattern, there isn't enough contrast when the phaeomelanin is a light buff. Ie, easier to see B barring on a dark red.

#116707 - 06/30/17 01:04 AM Re: Barring on Euskal Oiloa chickens (Basque) [Re: KazJaps]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Kazjaps, my hen did not lose barring on the tail

Off topic

Do I understand correctly, that it is no longer possible to link to photobucket for free? All my pictures have disappeared. What is the difference between linking and 3rd party hosting ?

Edited by Wieslaw (06/30/17 01:14 AM)
Edit Reason: added the off topic question

#116708 - 06/30/17 05:57 AM Re: Barring on Euskal Oiloa chickens (Basque) [Re: Wieslaw]
Robbie Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Ontario Canada
Thanks KazJaps.I had a quick peek at some photos of lemon and lavender cuckoo orpington hens, some of them have very indistinct barring too although the barring seems better on the lavender hens. So it must be the light background colour, and perhaps the barring gene is not as good at restricting the deposition of pheomelanin?
PS: Photobucket is becoming more and more obnoxious.I post photos to postimage.org, but they used to be more user-friendly too.

Edited by Robbie (06/30/17 06:07 AM)

#116720 - 07/02/17 09:04 PM Re: Barring on Euskal Oiloa chickens (Basque) [Re: Robbie]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Wieslaw, I just posted an image ok from Photobucket.

But when I last posted June 29th, I had noticed that Photobucket had changed the procedures & photo sharing steps again. I had trouble copying the img url directly from Photobucket, but luckily I only needed old photos, so got the img links directly from The Coop - old thread, to completely avoid Photobucket (& their pop-up ads). But while I was at Photobucket, I do recall them trying to "pitch" to me to do something, while I was exploring "more" and the "share" button. Maybe you clicked something there that changed your settings?

To copy a photo's img url now, all I'm doing while in the share window is click (highlight) the img url text, & then right click _ copy (text). Then paste into a post. I'm not using that "Share" button in the Photobucket share window, as it seems faulty.

Before the recent changes, all you had to do was click into the IMG url text box & wait for "copied" to indicate it was ready to paste elsewhere, but they have stopped this easy procedure.

#116725 - 07/03/17 12:24 PM Re: Barring on Euskal Oiloa chickens (Basque) [Re: KazJaps]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Kazjaps, I did not change anything. For the past 2 months or so I have been "harassed" with emails from photobuck. stating, that my storage is 90% full, and they have a very good offer (= paying for more storage). I did not react, as I'm on a tight budget at the moment. The tone of the emails was strange in my perception (they begin an email with something like" So, our last offer was not good for you???). Now I have discovered that all my pictures I have ever posted on the Polish forum and on this forum are GONE. It reminds me of the offer from the Godfather movie (the one you can't refuse). They now want people to pay for hosting pictures for the third party (i.e. I can have my pictures, but I can't show them to others)
There is a new bar at the top of the opening picture. It says they updated their terms. You can buy yourself free from adverts (which are placed on the library to make your experience as miserable as possible). Try to see the current reviews (400 dolars!!!).

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.photobucket.com

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 78 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box