Topic Options
#116776 - 08/03/17 10:55 AM Important message on changed editing
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
As many members have probably noticed, we have been hit VERY HARD by Photobucket. I've received a message, that editing has been changed (without time limit), so every member can have a chance to fix the broken links.

Wieslaw

#116778 - 08/03/17 09:31 PM Re: Important message on changed editing [Re: Wieslaw]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
Thanks Wieslaw, & for Moderator2 for removing editing time limits for members. This will help greatly.

P.s. for anyone wanting to see what the broken link Photobucket images posted are (now in so many old threads, & many online forums, blogs etc), Photobucket haven't crippled (as yet) showing thumbnail size images. So if you put th_ in front of the image file name, at least you can see a smaller version of the original image.

#116779 - 08/04/17 01:17 AM Re: Important message on changed editing [Re: KazJaps]
Hen-Gen Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Island of Fetlar, Shetland
Read your posts but can you explain in simple language what has happened and what the implications are.
I guess I'm a simpleton! wink

#116780 - 08/04/17 02:07 AM Re: Important message on changed editing [Re: Hen-Gen]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Previously: regular members had only a few hours (or days? don't remember ) to access their own posts to make corrections. This time limitation has been removed. Now you can access your own post and "repair it". We have hundreds if not thousands of broken links (which were pictures from Photobucket). So now if you move your pictures to another image hosting site, you can post the new address to replace the old.
Many important, valuable old threads are much less useful without the pictures. So I wrote to M2 to grant the access for Kazjaps, as she was willing to repair her own pictures. What happened after that, Kazjaps knows all details better.

#116781 - 08/04/17 03:55 AM Re: Important message on changed editing [Re: Wieslaw]
Hen-Gen Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Island of Fetlar, Shetland
Thank you Wieslaw. Now I understand.

#116782 - 08/04/17 01:45 PM Re: Important message on changed editing [Re: Hen-Gen]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

You're welcome. In case it does not work, you can inform Moderator2.

#116783 - 08/04/17 02:39 PM Re: Important message on changed editing [Re: Wieslaw]
Redcap Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Germany
Would it be possible to create a forum own host area for pictures, if this wouldn't be too expensive?

#116807 - 08/23/17 09:09 AM Re: Important message on changed editing [Re: Redcap]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

I have no idea. I'm not aware how much it could cost. We are rather few people here who visit the site more or less regularly. And "expensive" is a relative notion. Personally I'm very happy that we have a place to meet at all...

#116808 - 08/28/17 03:20 AM Re: Important message on changed editing [Re: Wieslaw]
Marina Offline
Chicken

Loc: New Zealand
It's actually quite expensive to provide photo hosting - easily 2 or 3 times more expensive than hosting the forum just for the server space and each month cost increases as more pictures are uploaded. I'm involved in a different forum as admin - www.poultrycentral.co.nz - and we investigated this issue 3 years ago. We allow small avatars. As the forum software does not check for viruses we've had problems twice with people uploading avatars that contain a virus. The bills are paid by the Christchurch Poultry, Bantam and Pigeon Club in New Zealand. The first time we were able to use a back-up but the second time this did not work and we can't afford to have it repaired. So now we don't have avatars. Photobucket hit us hard, too, but hosting pictures would also expose us to viruses - just like with the avatars.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69