Topic Options
#116815 - 09/07/17 03:31 PM Fire and Flooding
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
While the Gulf area is suffering from wind and flooding----the state of Montana is burning, and smoke is heavy and is as thick as fog. Might be interesting for others to know that while it is so thick that my own eyes burn and are "watering" (need eyedrops several times a day) and cannot stay on my feet very long at a time,(breathless for some weeks), that the bantams are not off the roost until nearly noon and are back in and ready for scratch treat and lock up by 6 pm. I keep the grass in their well shaded outside run, short and green, and they are busy during their active time outside. Not many eggs during these unusually HOT Days (but blessedly cool at night) and continual light molting is result of this season's weird weather.
Expect Grizzly Bears that are escaping the burning mountains, to be in our valley any day. Poultry house has electric protection at night! All mountain and prairie wildlife has suffered. more than 1,000,000 acres have burned and few of the 35+ fires are under control. Glacier National Park is not far from my farm, and fires have destroyed historic buildings and most trails and roads are closed. SNOW will be the final end of the fires--but not even rain is forecast for early fall!

Chickens do not seem to be badly affected in the valley, but we do not know the longer range effects!

Edited by CJR (09/07/17 03:40 PM)

#116825 - Yesterday at 08:41 PM Re: Fire and Flooding [Re: CJR]
Foehn Online   content
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
CJR I often remind myself how lucky we are that we don't have destructive predators as you do. Most that bothers us are some of the ferret family that some silly immigrants thought would be nice to have in NZ, such as stoats, weasels an escaped hunting ferrets, Australasian hawk, native falcons, but we don't have them this far north. Australian possums, Norwegian rats too, but nothing that could destroy a hen house, so, I do lock my hens in at night, but many don't bother.

As for the unseasonal weather patterns we get now, I guess that is the downside of climate change and we will continue to hear or read about droughts, floods, cyclones and even tornadoes, wheich we seem to be getting more of now.

For us coming into mid spring, my hens particularly seem to be laying well. getting around 2doz a day, and had a 100% hatch on the first incubation, so being over-run by eggs and chicks at present.

Edited by Foehn (Yesterday at 08:42 PM)

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn