Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#116866 - 10/03/17 10:30 AM Re: White roo over black hens [Re: KazJaps]
Kaalnek Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: KazJaps
Kaalnek,
What I did to bring up Photobucket thumbnail size images (the only size available to link for free) is to put th_ (th with an underscore) in front of the image file name, eg changed the original

Nice find and thank you! Yeah those were the pictures I was talking about. Saved them despite being fuzzy thumbnails, thanks again.

#116867 - 10/03/17 10:37 AM Re: White roo over black hens [Re: Smooth Mule]
Kaalnek Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Smooth Mule
So using these in a White flock is not a bad idea? And YES I've seen a LOT of Araucana's with that whitish/barred color as adults. Not fond of that color at All but if they make better whites, They can at least be useful.

Right, excellent in helping clean the white and getting the legs a sparkly clean even color(either white or yellow only though)- notice even the hen has very clear legs, despite having only one copy of the gene(sex linked). Compare that to normal barring as on barred rocks- common for hens to have some black coloring to various degrees on their legs and toes.

As for personal taste- I did not care for this color very much either- don't have any more examples of this gene in flock. It was an interesting surprise and little project to work with- bred them together to get homozygous roosters, to see if there was anything else such as blue, mottle or..? that could have accounted for making them so pale. Nothing else, just this single B^Sd thing, every other bird without it were normal black.

It is absolutely reliable and extremely clear autosexing trait. I could even sex the chicks once they externally pipped/started to zip around the egg.. No need for them to come out and dry off first, the difference was that startling. So that's another big plus for this gene- much less confusion than with the other commonly available autosexing breeds- I saw posts asking for 'gender guesses' on legbars on byc far too often....

Edited by Kaalnek (10/03/17 10:48 AM)

#116868 - 10/06/17 06:24 AM Re: White roo over black hens [Re: Kaalnek]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Missouri
Auto sexing? Can you explain a little simpler for me how they are sexed then? Thanks

#116869 - 10/06/17 06:47 AM Re: White roo over black hens [Re: Smooth Mule]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

And another question, did this come out because I bred the white roo to my black hens? And is a gene in the white roo, not the black hens so it's visual now? Is there any benefit for my white pen, to breed for more of these chicks or is it fine to just know the white rooster carries this gene? I want to make the most of him.

And, I planned to breed white daughters back to him. Will that change things. Is this gene something better when homozygous? or will his daughters out of black hens showing the gene....bred back to him, be good choices?

Regarding leg color...The rooster is from a few generations of all yellow legged whites..no green. I knew going in that I wanted to avoid using cockerels from this cross, I am concerned that I could bring in the green leg gene from my black hens.

Can this gene, that cleans up leg color, hide the gene for green legs? If I bred a yellow legged hen from this ...could she produce green legged offspring if the gene B^sd is present?

#116872 - 10/14/17 07:39 AM Re: White roo over black hens [Re: Smooth Mule]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

Another question, it was commented that the BO gene might clean up the color, and I took that to mean remove the green from the yellow legs. But in reading more, would this not "dilute" the yellow leg color rather than remove the green? This is important to me because I want to deepen the yellow in the leg color, not dilute it and this might explain why one of the pullets I got from a breeder who has nice yellow legs in the flock, has nearly white legs and why it can be possible to breed deep yellow legged to deep yellow legged and produce some chicks with much paler yellow legs

and another question, since I don't catch all the genetic lingo in the PDF file, Can hemizygous males then, have deep yellow legs yet pass the BO to offspring resulting in paler yellow in the legs? I am assuming hens would already have pale legs if hemizygous for it

This may be very beneficial information to understand and work through as I develop my white Araucana flock.

Additionally, my black Araucana hens.... I immediately blamed the white rooster for obvious reasons for the unusual color on the chicks. This white rooster has pretty good yellow color on his legs so would that not indicate he is hemizygous for BO (if indeed he is the cause of this color chick)? And is it possible that my hens being black could carry this gene? If any of the black hens had come from barred breeding (and I no history on them all), could the gene be present but not expressed on black or possibly be the cause of paler yellow skin (soles of feet since they have black legs)? Some of my black hens have nice dark yellow soles that pale some when they are laying and some were paler yellow from the start? I have had mixed success in breeding for deep yellow skin on my blacks as well.

Edited by Smooth Mule (10/14/17 07:51 AM)
Edit Reason: additional question

#116873 - 10/14/17 07:56 AM Re: White roo over black hens [Re: Smooth Mule]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

I recall a thread on yellow legged black poultry but haven't been able to find it again. I have had deep yellow legs on a couple of my black hens that were clearly and cleanly deep yellow. This leads me to wonder, as well, if that line (the original hens name was India) might have had BO but not expressed in the feathers since she was solid black...or is there another gene responsible for this?

#116874 - 10/14/17 08:00 AM Re: White roo over black hens [Re: Smooth Mule]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

This is India. She came to me near adult with absolutely no background other than being in a flock of mixed colors. Her legs were deep yellow, even in lay

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Dpt8iPT.jpg?1[/img]

Edited by Smooth Mule (10/14/17 08:02 AM)

#116896 - 11/03/17 04:36 PM Re: White roo over black hens [Re: Kaalnek]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

Originally Posted By: Kaalnek
Originally Posted By: Smooth Mule
So using these in a White flock is not a bad idea? And YES I've seen a LOT of Araucana's with that whitish/barred color as adults. Not fond of that color at All but if they make better whites, They can at least be useful.

Right, excellent in helping clean the white and getting the legs a sparkly clean even color(either white or yellow only though)- notice even the hen has very clear legs, despite having only one copy of the gene(sex linked). Compare that to normal barring as on barred rocks- common for hens to have some black coloring to various degrees on their legs and toes.

As for personal taste- I did not care for this color very much either- don't have any more examples of this gene in flock. It was an interesting surprise and little project to work with- bred them together to get homozygous roosters, to see if there was anything else such as blue, mottle or..? that could have accounted for making them so pale. Nothing else, just this single B^Sd thing, every other bird without it were normal black.

It is absolutely reliable and extremely clear autosexing trait. I could even sex the chicks once they externally pipped/started to zip around the egg.. No need for them to come out and dry off first, the difference was that startling. So that's another big plus for this gene- much less confusion than with the other commonly available autosexing breeds- I saw posts asking for 'gender guesses' on legbars on byc far too often....

Explain how the autosexing for this gene works
Please

#116897 - 11/03/17 04:45 PM Re: White roo over black hens [Re: Smooth Mule]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

Updated photo, one of the chicks that is feathering in now.

Anyone wanting to use these photo's to share or discuss this topic is welcome to them.

#116898 - 11/03/17 04:49 PM Re: White roo over black hens [Re: Smooth Mule]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69