Topic Options
#53673 - 02/01/09 06:34 PM Last of the Long Crowers!!
Dirt Road Offline
Bantam

Loc: Idaho
Finally put down the last of the Long Crowers I was working on for the past couple of years. Started with 10 Tomaru's from Sandhill. The 4 Roosters I got were not much as crowers. Then I won a couple of auctions for Denizli eggs, from which I hatched 3 of the nuttiest roosters I've ever seen. The one I kept actually was a 12 second crower by the time he was 9 months old, and the calmest of the three. He was also the most insane chicken I've ever owned! After crossing the two varieties (raised 80 of them) I ended up with quite a bunch of pretty birds. The hens were indifferent layers; the best rooster hit 8 seconds at 6 months old, then faded to just barely better than my Australorpe rooster. He did crow almost constantly, day and night. I have no near neighbors so the noise was not a problem. What finally sent them all to the afterlife was the fact that they were so looney they made my few Leghorn hens look downright lethargic. I've never been as excited about getting a variety of chickens, nor so completely disappointed.

#53674 - 02/01/09 11:47 PM Re: Last of the Long Crowers!!
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
This is not related to Long Crowers. But I identify with just not liking a bird based on personality (behaviour). For me it's looks too. For so long I've had Australorp and Dark Brahmas and the resulting mixed mutts. They have dark skin, feathered legs, small combs. I like this. It looks neat and sturdy and they have the personality of bowling balls. They are relaxed and mellow and I have to roll them out of my way with my foot.

Recently hatched some different crosses. They have this pale, white skin and look like I do after all these months of winter. Ick! And they are looking barred and will probably have regular size combs. Well, not in my hen house you don't! eek

So I was happy to hear that you would openly admit that you went in with high hopes and gee, you just weren't in love with them. Now I don't feel as bad about my fickle poultry prejudices. :rolleyes:

#53675 - 02/06/09 10:06 AM Re: Last of the Long Crowers!!
Marvin Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Nicaragua
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirt Road:
Finally put down the last of the Long Crowers I was working on for the past couple of years. Started with 10 Tomaru's from Sandhill. The 4 Roosters I got were not much as crowers. Then I won a couple of auctions for Denizli eggs, from which I hatched 3 of the nuttiest roosters I've ever seen. The one I kept actually was a 12 second crower by the time he was 9 months old, and the calmest of the three. He was also the most insane chicken I've ever owned! After crossing the two varieties (raised 80 of them) I ended up with quite a bunch of pretty birds. The hens were indifferent layers; the best rooster hit 8 seconds at 6 months old, then faded to just barely better than my Australorpe rooster. He did crow almost constantly, day and night. I have no near neighbors so the noise was not a problem. What finally sent them all to the afterlife was the fact that they were so looney they made my few Leghorn hens look downright lethargic. I've never been as excited about getting a variety of chickens, nor so completely disappointed.
I feel your pain buddy, and as many of us have set back before, Do you think the Long Crow Genes are closely to their crazy behavior?? if you want a long crower with melow personality couldīnt you breed them to cochins?wyanndotes?

#53676 - 02/08/09 09:06 PM Re: Last of the Long Crowers!!
Dirt Road Offline
Bantam

Loc: Idaho
I'm not sure the long crowing ability is genetic although it may be partially so. The Tomaru from what I have read is not as nutty. They have also been crossed with several other breeds, in part because they seem to have very little tolerance for cold. The birds I got from Sandhill showed obvious influence of Sumatras. One of my roosters even had multiple spurs. The newest import ('02 I believe) was crossed out to Javas for that reason. Don't know how well they crow. The ones I had were a bit flighty but not terribly so. The Denizli are the real head cases in my opinion.
There might be something to the genetic angle with them, as I can't imagine why they would have been selected for that degree of insanity. Unless of course they were developed in a semi-feral situation.

#112972 - 07/01/14 08:40 AM Re: Last of the Long Crowers!! [Re: Dirt Road]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Missouri
I know this posting is very old but I hope there are still longcrower breeders in the group. I have 2 Tomaru pullets, very friendly, very decent sized and calm as can be. They have been a challenge to find, most breeders seem to just have a pair or trio and have had issues raising them. I bought these 2 at a couple months old and they have flourished. I bought 11 hatching eggs, shipped...and have 2 viable chicks that are very active when candled, candled one time at 10 days. They are due to hatch July 4th.

I have located a cockerel to pick up later in July that isn't breeding yet, they won't ship him but I'll be in the area during vacation and will pick him up on the way home.

I think one of the pullets laid her first egg, they are old enough now. So, I bought a black Langshans cockerel that is breeding for them. I was so impressed with the deep, long crow of the breed at a recent show and they are not so far off type for the Tomaru. The Langshans is much larger but then I feel the chicks from this cross will be just a bit larger than the Tomaru pullets (I can live with that) and I'll cull for feathered legs. Other than feathered legs, there isn't much to cull for right off. I'll grow them out and cull again. I'll cull for crowing in the cockerels and for the pullets, I'll compare them to the mothers who are pure and cull for type then later for egg color. The best pullets will be bred back to the Tomaru cockerel and only purebreds from there. I hope the strengths of the Langshans will help to strengthen the weakness in the Tomaru (poor layers) and the genetic pool will be stronger. I'll develop the line from the cross separate from my pure Tomaru's for 5 or 6 more years and if they are good enough, they will be integrated into the general flock.....provided I have a flock then.

If anyone else is breeding Tomaru, please PM me. I am slowly building up a database of breeders in the US

#112973 - 07/01/14 01:43 PM Re: Last of the Long Crowers!! [Re: Smooth Mule]
Stone Offline
New Egg

Loc: USA
This breed is also a new one for me here in central Virginia. Mine are around 9-10 months old and I have five cockerels and three pullets to work with.

I find it to be a handsome breed and very docile - I can pick up any of them if I walk up to them when they are free ranging. That is not the case with my Yokohamas, Phoenix, Ohikis, Polish etc.

My cockerels are rather quiet throughout the day although I heard one very nice long crow this afternoon followed by the ending "snork". I was caught off guard so I did not attempt to count the length in seconds. One source of information indicated that the best crows are extremely early in the morning and I have not tested out that option as of yet. Also not every crow will be a long one and I think the two year olds crow the longest.

I actually have no problem with the developmental time and breeding/selection processes so I hope to continue to work with them. I have been in contact with the man who worked out the importation arrangements on the European end for the 2002 introduction into the US, and he said some of the best crowing performers were involved in the stock sent here. I truly enjoy working with them and having them included in my diverse poultry projects.

#113034 - 07/28/14 10:07 PM Re: Last of the Long Crowers!! [Re: Stone]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

Would you be interested in selling chicks or hatching eggs? Or in a swap? I picked up a cock from a breeder who just has a trio besides the cock I got from her so I have a trio now too and hope to find more lines to work with. I've found mine to be friendly, a little stand offish compared to my others here but willing to eat from my hand and follow me around in the pen. I really love the way they carry themselves, so regal. My pullets are just beginning to lay and I did hatch some, of all crosses, Serama crosses just because I had a Serama cock and his 4 hens in the grow out pen where the Tomaru pullets were growing out.

I would love to stay in contact for sure. My email is fivehillsfarm@gmail.com and I would love to see photo's or video of your Tomaru and discuss ways to improve on what I have already.

We travel through part of Virginia to visit family in Suffolk and travel through on 64 but have taken other routes through there as well.

#114332 - 05/05/15 06:24 AM Re: Last of the Long Crowers!! [Re: Smooth Mule]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

I was fortunate to be offered a pair of Tomaru's from a breeder who had not sold from his flock in well over 20 yrs of breeding. This young cock can crow an easy 10 seconds and longer. Anyone interested in working with this breed, please contact me

#115931 - 07/24/16 10:38 AM Re: Last of the Long Crowers!! [Re: Smooth Mule]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

My Longcrower flock is growing and doing well. I'd love to hear from anyone who has or have had Denizli

#116870 - 10/06/17 07:59 AM Re: Last of the Long Crowers!! [Re: Smooth Mule]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

I have Denizli now, a pair, and hatching chicks right now if anyone is interested in talking longcrowers

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw