Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#113986 - 03/10/15 12:37 AM Re: Siamese embryo? [Re: Foehn]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Foehn, for the first time ever I've had weird leg problems in my last few hatches.

I got some chickens that were quite robust, but wild as the dickens! Their crossed offspring had a high rate of leg weirdness that showed up when they were still teenagers and seemed to affect the young roosters more than hens. It was like they were walking with the knee joint straight, not flexed. They had a very upright, rigid, erect stance because the angle and movement of their leg was unusual.

Nothing else in my chicken keeping had changed, not the food, not the environment. Just the introduction of this genetic line.

Some were more affected than others and those I culled. BUt I noted that the ones I didn't cull eventually grew out of it and their legs went back to normal.

Was it a growth spurt? Was it nutrition related? Was it genetics? Who knows! That's the thing, how do you ever know for sure?

As that genetic fades from my hen house, that stiff leg problem shows up less and less.

#117029 - 02/28/18 02:04 AM Re: Siamese embryo? [Re: Uno]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Reading over this old post it occurs to me that it has been quite a while since I hatched any chicks with curled toes.

I quit using that Hovabator with the wafer and finally invented a bator that actually works. Using a digital temperature controller and a light bulb as heat source I have had great hatches. And no wonky toes! Still get splayed legs if I get a fat chick. But all toes are straight!

#117030 - 02/28/18 07:09 PM Re: Siamese embryo? [Re: Uno]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
May not fit your problem with Splay Legs, but I had NONE after giving my breeding pens (trios) hand fed Cod Liver Oil sandwiches. Spread about 2 1/2 T CLOil on a slice of 9 grain bread. Place another slice of bread on top. Hand feed each pen, one fourth of the Sandwich. Hang on tight or first one will take it all! AT least 3 X a week during collection of hatching eggs...Our Lay Feed has no animal products in it any more. Vitamins A&D may be minimal, and fade with storage of feed. Splay chicks have hip joint bone not finished at hatch. Will just finish and harden in a day or 2--splayed and no recovery, if legs are not held in normal position (Band Aides) and can be given a drop of Cod Liver Oil by eyedropper (top of the mouth, so not to choke). Several days of Cod Liver Oil, and the band aide support can be removed and perfect "finish" for the bones. (sometimes a 2nd support time may be needed.) Had a series of pictures, sorry I cannot post them any longer. No, not the end all to the problem, but was completely successful for my Bantam hatching for many years. I blamed the egg, not the incubation. And the hen fixed the eggs!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 77 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box