Topic Options
#1171 - 03/20/06 11:01 AM Tip For Keeping Waterers From Freezing
C. Newman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Thought I'd share a solution I have for keeping the metal waterers from freezing - use heater strips designed to keep pipes from freezing.

I prefer to keep the waterers outside so the cedar chips in my hen-house don't get wet. I've been carrying the waterer into the hen-house for freezing cold nights and hanging a shop-light over it to keep the water from freezing. But recently, I tried wrapping an electric heater strip around the waterer and covered that with duct tape. Ran an extension cord from the hen-house over the top of the pen and down to where the waterer hangs and plugged it in. The heater strip has a thermostat in it that turns on/off when the temp gets close to freezing. It has been working great! No more lugging the waterer back and forth!

Heater strips are a plumbing item that I found at a hardware store. They come in different lengths. They require electric power.

#1172 - 03/21/06 04:18 AM Re: Tip For Keeping Waterers From Freezing
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria

sounds interesting, may i ask how do they look? I have never heard of such things in Austria? I have found a pic but don´t know if THIS is what you´re speaking about:

direct-link to pic:

They look like tyre-warmers for R/C-race-cars to me;-) Are these heaters water-proof? I wonder if it will do any harm if the birds spill water on it, doesn´t is soak and lead to current-shortcuts?

Best greetings,

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box