Topic Options
#117170 - 05/13/18 07:29 PM lav/lav wing patches on hens
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
An e+ lav/lav pullet with wing patches:

These F2 e+ lav/lav hens with wing patches segregated from the following pedigree.

First breeding, large het. henny lavender (of Dark variety) Indian Game rooster (no lav wing patches) with 3 e+ Modern Game bantam hens:

F1 offspring.
F1 chick down:

Both het. henny & non-henny cockerels segregated:

I kept 2 F1 henny cockerels & 3 F1 pullets to breed from.

#117171 - 05/13/18 08:16 PM Re: lav/lav wing patches on hens [Re: KazJaps]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
From 2 F1 henny cockerels (Id/id+) & 3 F1 pullets (Id/-), I got 6 lav/lav chicks to grow to adulthood, 5 pullets & 1 cockerel.

Three had wing patches, 1 cockerel, 2 pullets -
F2 cockerel with wing patches:

F2 pullet with wing patches:

Three pullets were without wing patches:

*Note, I don't know if it was a coincidence or not but all 3 with wing patches had Id - yellow legs, and all 3 pullets without wing patches had id+ - willow legs. I gave the 3 with wing patches (breeding trio) next door. Was surprised to see that the adult hens never moulted out the wing patches, ie never gained normal feathering.

All 3 e+ lav hens without wing patches were kept for back crossing to pure e+ Modern Game bantam roosters. I used both e+/e+ B-Id/B-Id s+/s+ light Crele MGB rooster and e+/e+ S/S id+/id+ silver duckwing MGB rooster, and was lucky to segregate 2 crele henny cockerels in these BC1 (ie at least 1 F2 lav hen carrying henny).

Eg:
BC1 e+ Lav+/lav B/b+:

*Note, he also has a dominant red enhancer, coming from the original lav Indian Game rooster. And for some reason these BC1 hennies are larger than the F2 lavs, even though the MGB crele father was selected for his very tall but very slender body size.

At present I have BC1 non-henny crele cockerel sire with crele pullet setting, hoping for my first BC1-F2 lav/lav chicks. Will be interesting to see if any lav develop wing patches.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box