Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#117212 - 06/28/18 07:13 AM Re: Are my chickens "Spotty"? as in Spotty Game Bird [Re: PurpleSully]
PurpleSully Offline
Feather

Loc: United States
Looking more closely at the link that compares the B^sd (B2) and the B0 alleles, I'm leaning toward thinking that these birds are B0.

#117213 - 07/01/18 12:41 AM Re: Are my chickens "Spotty"? as in Spotty Game Bird [Re: PurpleSully]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: PurpleSully
....and two are eWh/e+ without dilution.

Originally Posted By: PurpleSully
This is a son of Keeper. His mother is a Speckled Sussex/Red Sexlink hen.

It's interesting how Mahogany counteracts the dilution that happened on the pullet with red spots that I previously posted. When the pullet was this age she she was more of a buff cuckoo color.

Ok, so you haven't segregated a e+ extreme dilute chick as yet. Was the pullet with red spots a wheaten based chick (cream or buff)?

Lanae mentioned that her Araucanas were wheaten based. I do remember years ago on a chickens eGroup a photo of Araucana or Ameraucana rooster similar to spotties (I think named Harlequin?).

Back to my Aust. Pit Game spotty thread, the following posts explains how you can test breed to see if an allele of the B locus:
http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=116132#Post116132

But first you need to have a test rooster homozygous for the extreme dilute allele (to put with a B barred hen), or rooster known heterozygous with both extreme dilute and B barred.
Eg, I'll give the temporary symbol B^Ed = extreme dilute.
Need to have B^Ed/B^Ed or B^Ed/B. Could use B^Sd, but B easier to see. Need to be certain that the rooster doesn't have b+.

With B^Ed/B rooster, what you are trying to see is if any b+ daughters segregate. If there are any b+ daughters, you know B^Ed is not an allele of the B locus. Plus no sons should be homozygous b+/b+ without extreme dilute or barring. And if you put him to b+/- hens, no sons should be B^Ed/B.

With my B^Sp/B spotty/barred rooster, I used spotty or barred (crele) hens to him, but wild-type b+/- hens would have been ok, although the sons couldn't be used again in B locus test.

#117214 - 07/01/18 01:14 AM Re: Are my chickens "Spotty"? as in Spotty Game Bird [Re: KazJaps]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

And the 2017 B alleles paper thread:
http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=116614#Post116614

There are 4 mutations that occurred, 2 on B0 allele, 3 on B1 allele, 3 on B2 allele.
- B0 - extreme dilution (2 non coding mutations (SNP1 & SNP2))
- B1 - barring (2 non coding mutations + V9D substitution (SNP1, SNP2 & SNP3))
- B2 - dilution (2 non coding mutations + R10C substitution (SNP1, SNP2 & SNP4)).

In short, the extreme dilute allele occurred first with 2 mutations, this causing less function of the CDKN2A (b+) gene. Then a mutation occurred on the extreme dilute allele, increasing the function of the gene & producing the barring phenotype. Also another mutation occurred on the extreme dilute allele, partially increasing the function of the gene, producing the B^Sd sex linked dilution phenotype.

Explained more in the following article:
https://m.phys.org/news/2017-04-reveals-chickens-striped-feathers.html

---------------------
So your Naked Neck extreme dilute allele would be interesting to DNA test and see if the same as the 2017 paper B0 allele sequence.
Would be very interesting to DNA test & compare the spotty allele, see if it shares any mutations to B0, or whether completely different.

#117215 - 07/01/18 01:23 AM Re: Are my chickens "Spotty"? as in Spotty Game Bird [Re: KazJaps]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Also in the previous B allele research papers, they noted that Norwegian Jaerhons were found with B^Sd.

A link to Jaerhons at Feathersite. Multiple varieties & phenotypes, some roosters appear B^Sd/B^Sd, but no roosters with spots, nor any hens like the dilute Naked Necks or spotties.
https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Jaer/BRKJaerhone.html

#117217 - 07/01/18 03:20 PM Re: Are my chickens "Spotty"? as in Spotty Game Bird [Re: KazJaps]
PurpleSully Offline
Feather

Loc: United States
Wow, I'm going to have to read that several times to soak it all in.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box