Topic Options
#102503 - 02/26/12 06:20 AM ACV and Garlic question I have researched
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: NY
Hi, I have been reading about ACV and Garlic, I guess ACV should be added at a rate of 1 TBSP per Gallon of water, But should it be given daily?

Also Garlic should it be added to the food daily? how much?
What kind of Garlic? I have the Powder type.

I also use DE, DO these change the taste of the eggs? Thanks
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
1White Leghorn,1Spec Sussex
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Peacocks India Blue/Blk Shoulder,1JadeSpalding PeaHen
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#102507 - 02/26/12 08:35 AM Re: ACV and Garlic question I have researched [Re: JoeG]
Moderator2 Offline
Administrator
Flock Leader

Loc: Eastern USA
Hi Joe, I only use ACV during hot weather to prevent the growth of mold or algae in the drinking water. 1 TBSP per gallon as you suggested. I have never used garlic but have read that it can affect the taste of eggs. While I admire your choice to use natural means to keep your flock healthy, most have found it unnecessary to use supplements to do so. Plenty of clean fresh water, fresh food, fresh air and a clean living environment will provide a strong healthy flock that will not be easily overcome with disease or bothered by parasites. That said I see no down side to using these either.

#102511 - 02/26/12 11:52 AM Re: ACV and Garlic question I have researched [Re: Moderator2]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: NY
I am just trying to keep the birds healthy, I don't want them to suffer because of my Lack of care, I am not a Over the top animal lover I don't want them suffer over my oversight on something, I don't know much about chickens and I may not even know there is something wrong intill it is to late.
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
1White Leghorn,1Spec Sussex
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Peacocks India Blue/Blk Shoulder,1JadeSpalding PeaHen
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#102513 - 02/26/12 02:42 PM Re: ACV and Garlic question I have researched [Re: JoeG]
Moderator2 Offline
Administrator
Flock Leader

Loc: Eastern USA
I understand. I have gone to great lengths at times to care for my chickens. If I am going to care for an animal, then I want to do it well or not at all. Reading many of your posts, I'm sure you are a good caretaker and with experience you will gain confidence in what you are doing. We all continue to learn. Soon you will be answering questions for others who are just starting out. Seems like a short time ago that I came here to ask basic questions on how to care for new chicks. Now I am experienced in caring for old hens grin. I hope your new venture brings you much enjoyment! smile

#102514 - 02/26/12 03:46 PM Re: ACV and Garlic question I have researched [Re: Moderator2]
Rog Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
The toughest part of raising chickens is that by the time they show signs of being sick or ill they are usually really bad. When they first catch something it seems you just can`t tell they have anything until it gets bad. And thats not anybodys fault , it`s just part of having chickens. It seems some folks overmedicate and some folks undermedicate. I kind of go along with if it ain`t broke don`t try to fix it. Experience is the best teacher. Just do it. Figure out what works for you. Like changing a flat tire. You can read and be told how to do it but until you actually change one you never know if what you read or were told if it will work on the vehicle you need to change it on. Use common sense and just do it. Rog

#102517 - 02/26/12 06:40 PM Re: ACV and Garlic question I have researched [Re: Rog]
Redcap Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Germany
Garlic is poisonous to chicken, especially the substance N-propyl disulfide.
http://books.google.de/books?id=t9zwma_e...ner&f=false
Quote:
Die Küchenzwiebel (Allium cepa), die für Menschen harmlos ist, kann durch ihren Gehalt an n-Propyldisulfid und Allylpropyldisulfid bei Tieren (z. B. Hund, Katze, Geflügel, Rind, Schaf, Ziege), die Zwiebeln in großen Mengen gefressen haben, eine hämolytische Anämie hervorufen.

Quote:
The Onion (Allium cepa), which is harmless to humans, can cause by their content of n-propyl disulfide and Allyl propyl disulfide in animals (e.g. dogs, cats, poultry, cattle, sheep, goat),which have eaten onions in large quantities,a hemolytic anemia.

#117286 - 09/09/18 10:49 AM Re: ACV and Garlic question I have researched [Re: Redcap]
Etienne Offline
New Egg

Loc: Continental Europe
Hi Redcap,
the toxicity quote is about onion, and the topic is garlic. Does garlic also contain n-propyl... ...? I do not know, but different studies show that feeding garlic to chicken improves health and/or food convertion ratio
https://scialert.net/fulltextmobile/?doi=ajpsaj.2010.182.189

In the following review up to 5 % of the diet was composed of garlic, and had beneficial effects
http://ijas.iaurasht.ac.ir/article_538739_10bf7af3d2370e37f6f2a07eb1988470.pdf

Edited by Etienne (09/09/18 10:58 AM)

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 86 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box