Topic Options
#117381 - 03/04/19 06:59 PM Breda
David8844 Offline
New Egg

Loc: Arkansas
Is anyone aware of anyone who has bred the Breda combless trait into a more traditional breed like the Rhode island red? I'm interested in a traditional breed with no comb. The Breda has a lot of traits I am not interested in such as the vulture hocks. I'm sure it would take a long time to isolate just the combless gene and remove all the other traits. There is no reason to reinvent the wheel if someone has already done the breeding.
Also, does anyone know if there are any other traits associated to the combless gene such as low fertility?

#117382 - 03/05/19 10:45 AM Re: Breda [Re: David8844]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
I have not done the breeding, but as far as removing unwanted traits is concerned:
1) if the traits are caused by one dominant gene, you loose 50% of them in each generation by crossing with a bird without that trait. So by hatching a lot of chicks you can actually get some birds without them in second generation.
2) If a trait is caused by a recessive gene, you know you have lost 1 of the pair in the first generation, but you cannot see in second generation who are the carriers, so you have to make a control crossing to detect who has and who hasn't lost it( or use try and error method)

As far as I know the Breda comb is recessive (you cannot see it in the first generation), so you have to cross F1 with each other , hoping to get some breda combs in F2

So it is a question of number of chicks in F2, the bigger the number the better chance to achieve your goal in F2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box