Topic Options
#117401 - 05/10/19 11:14 AM Neck and saddle hackle striping
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Missouri
Are there any known jeans that affect the amount of striping and neck hackles of e+ ?

#117402 - 05/11/19 11:02 PM Re: Neck and saddle hackle striping [Re: Smooth Mule]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Most jeans only fit the legs and rears. If you want hackle genes, I Would suggest "Selection" of breeder birds with the striping you want. If you do not have one or more one with the striping you need and do not have
birds to work with, it may be necessary to search and obtain one. (Sorry, I couldn't resist--forgive me!)

#117404 - 05/12/19 09:42 PM Re: Neck and saddle hackle striping [Re: CJR]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
There have to be genes for black striping and absence of striping, but they are not "known"(examined). There have to be also a gene turning black into brown (I have it). I also had birds with stippling instead of striping.

#117406 - 05/16/19 01:58 AM Re: Neck and saddle hackle striping [Re: Wieslaw]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
I've crossed e+/e+ BBRed Modern Game bantam rooster, no striping on neck or saddle in males (striped neck hens) with eb/eb Silver Pencilled Wyandotte bantam hen (striped neck and saddle male line).

All F1 roosters were mostly non striped on neck, maybe slightly striped at base. In F2 I only kept eb/eb adult males, no e+/? past juveniles age. But I didn't find a distinct correlation with E locus allele and striping/non striping in males (ie the F2 eb male segregates varied in neck/saddle pattern, and none had distinct striping like the parent Wyandotte line).

#117409 - 05/19/19 12:26 PM Re: Neck and saddle hackle striping [Re: CJR]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

Lol, sorry, auto correct strikes again....GENES>>>>>

#117410 - 05/19/19 02:17 PM Re: Neck and saddle hackle striping [Re: Smooth Mule]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

If I wanted clean hackles in my Silver Duckwings then, am I going to lose the clean hackles if outcrossed to clean it up then back to DW to correct the type and back to e+ duckwing?

I was using a cock last year that was awful. Culled all the chicks and started over. I don't think it was my hens but they may have contributed since the Araucana doesn't seem to have many clean hackles in DW. But, I've since gotten a couple Silver males that are not so bad. I'll see what I can do before trying to outcross.

Thanks for the information, Here are the 2 cocks I'm using this year. Hoping for clean hackles And proper (or close) Duckwing in silver.
One has tufts but many obvious issues. The other is clean faced but I like him better...I've used this one so far and the chicks looked right for down pattern. The hens went broody so I will use the tufted cock when they start laying again.

The one I used this spring

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box