Topic Options
#117429 - 06/24/19 02:22 AM Sex Linkage
Hen-Gen Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Island of Fetlar, Shetland
Just wanted to confirm something. Will the blue barred pullets from a Dominique x Blue Jersey Giant mating be true breeding for the silver gene, the barring gene and the slow feathering gene?
Are there any other anomalies I should be looking for?

Edited by Hen-Gen (06/24/19 02:23 AM)

#117430 - 06/24/19 06:54 AM Re: Sex Linkage [Re: Hen-Gen]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
I presume the Dominique is the father. If he is homozygous for the three genes then yes. If not, then only silver and slow feathering will be hanging together(provided they are linked). The barring gene is on the opposite end of the chromosome

#117431 - 06/24/19 08:55 AM Re: Sex Linkage [Re: Hen-Gen]
Marvin Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Nicaragua
Originally Posted By: Hen-Gen
Just wanted to confirm something. Will the blue barred pullets from a Dominique x Blue Jersey Giant mating be true breeding for the silver gene, the barring gene and the slow feathering gene?
Are there any other anomalies I should be looking for?

Sex linkage is usually used to distinguish females from males, if you use a Dominique rooster over JG hen, there will be no distinction between male and female chicks.

My suggestion would be JG rooster over Dominique hens.. The pullets should be none-barring(b+/-), dark shanks(id+/-), they could be Silver(S/-) or gold(s+/-) but you can't see that on their Extended black chick down so it will not help.

#117432 - 06/25/19 12:05 AM Re: Sex Linkage [Re: Marvin]
Hen-Gen Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

Thanks for your assistance. I should have said that the afore mentioned pullets are eight weeks old. I bred them because I’d never seen blue barred before in the flesh and wanted to see how the colour develops as the birds reach maturity..
It is already obvious to me that the barring is much less distinct, almost as though the blue “bleeds” into the white (to use a clothes washing analogy).
And yet in the blue Lakenvelder the demarcation between the blue and white plumage is as distinct as that found in the normal coloured Lakenvelder.
In due course I will mate these pullets back to a Dominique to see the effect of blue barred in the true breeding blue barred male.

#117433 - 06/25/19 09:27 AM Re: Sex Linkage [Re: Hen-Gen]
Marvin Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Nicaragua
Originally Posted By: Hen-Gen
It is already obvious to me that the barring is much less distinct, almost as though the blue “bleeds” into the white (to use a clothes washing analogy).
And yet in the blue Lakenvelder the demarcation between the blue and white plumage is as distinct as that found in the normal coloured Lakenvelder.
In your case your birds are E/E without any columbian restriction so the blue affects the entire body, in the case of Lakenvelder their body is restricted and blue can't affect Silver whatsoever but it does the melanized areas(hackle, tail)

#117434 - 06/25/19 10:43 AM Re: Sex Linkage [Re: Marvin]
Hen-Gen Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

Allow me to clarify my confusion. I know my crossbred Dominiques x Blue Jersey Giants are E/E. The Dominique is also silver and carries the Columbian gene because this combination is said to give the cleanest and most defined barring.
In the Dominique, as in the Barred Rock, this gives the very clear manifestation of the stop/start of melanin deposition. Yet add the blue gene and this delineation is far less distinct. Why are these blue barred birds not the same as the normal black barred siblings in terms of demarcation between the two colours.
I used the Lakenvelder analogy to show that blue and silver can have very clear demarcation so why is this not so in blue barred birds?

And on this theme I recreated my Dominiques from other breeds because they are virtually unavailable in the UK. The rose comb was derived from a Columbian Wyandotte. This means my birds have the Wyandotte type comb where the leader closely follows the neck. How do I get the correct comb for this breed where the leader does not follow the line of the neck?

Edited by Hen-Gen (06/25/19 10:51 AM)

#117435 - 06/26/19 02:43 AM Re: Sex Linkage [Re: Hen-Gen]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
There is a very close linkage between K and S loci, crossovers at 1.1%.

Bl can act differently when combined with other mutations. Eg, in Blue Millefleurs, the mo eumelanin band below the white tip often is bleached / washed out, less pigmented band than bl+.

In quality laced blue (Bl Pg/Pg) with B barring, roosters may have clean distinct barring on the darker top (neck, wing bow, saddle), but clean laced blue on the lighter body, very faint barring, hardly noticeable. So I think part of it depends on how dark the blue is, and what modifiers present.

#117436 - 06/26/19 01:16 PM Re: Sex Linkage [Re: KazJaps]
Hen-Gen Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

Thanks for that, KazJaps. There is something satisfying about one of those nobody knows answers smirk

Edited by Hen-Gen (06/26/19 01:16 PM)

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 84 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box