Topic Options
#117474 - 10/10/19 05:10 AM Fibromelanosis
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark

I'd like to underline a piece of the abstract from the link posted by Kazjaps in the sticky https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5381777/

Quote:
This highly homozygous tract is different in length between Cemani and Silkie, reflecting their distinct breeding histories. It is estimated that the Fm phenotype came into existence at least 6600–9100 years ago, prior to domestication of Cemani and Silkie, and that throughout domestication there has been intense artificial selection with strength s > 50% in each breed.

Just as a curiosity…

#117475 - 10/11/19 06:17 AM Re: Fibromelanosis [Re: Wieslaw]
Marvin Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Nicaragua
Originally Posted By: Wieslaw

I'd like to underline a piece of the abstract from the link posted by Kazjaps in the sticky https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5381777/

Quote:
This highly homozygous tract is different in length between Cemani and Silkie, reflecting their distinct breeding histories. It is estimated that the Fm phenotype came into existence at least 6600–9100 years ago, prior to domestication of Cemani and Silkie, and that throughout domestication there has been intense artificial selection with strength s > 50% in each breed.

Just as a curiosity…

Thanks, I find interesting that we don´t find fibromelanistic red jungle fowl in the wild.

#117480 - 10/15/19 02:29 AM Re: Fibromelanosis [Re: Marvin]
Hen-Gen Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Island of Fetlar, Shetland
Thank you Wieslaw. I have no idea when chickens were first domesticated. I’ll have to google.
Random mutations must occur frequently in the wild but natural selection would quickly eradicate any that were not conducive to survival. I find the subject very interesting, particularly how geographically isolated island populations may be subject to different selection pressures and thereby become more distinct. I imagine that modern times with more isolation of different breeding populations may well give rise to different races developing. Or, contrarily, lack of genetic diversity and eventual extinction.
See Wieslaw and Marvin how a simple comment can trigger a whole realm of thought! Thanks.

Edited by Hen-Gen (10/15/19 02:31 AM)

#117481 - 10/19/19 10:01 PM Re: Fibromelanosis [Re: Hen-Gen]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
I went chasing for the Cemani Fm journal paper after reading the following 2019 National Geographic article (because I remembered early Fm research hadn't DNA tested Cemani)
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2019/09/why-black-chickens-fibromelanosis/
Quote:
What’s more, Andersson says all of these chickens can trace their mutation back to a single bird that may have lived hundreds or even thousands of years ago.

“The mutation underlying fibromelanosis is very peculiar, so we are sure that it occurred once,” says Andersson.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69 
Who's Online
1 registered (RC), 68 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box