Topic Options
#117541 - 02/15/21 06:42 AM Incubating eggs preserved in lime
RyanZierke Offline
Chicken

Loc: Minnesota
There is an old method of preserving eggs in lime called Water Glassing. It was used before refrigeration to save eggs for winter use.

Does anyone have input on whether this method of preservation could extend the viability of hatching eggs?

Here's an article that describes water glassing: https://homesteadingfamily.com/preserved-eggs-water-glassing-eggs-for-long-term-storage/

#117542 - 02/20/21 06:57 AM Re: Incubating eggs preserved in lime [Re: RyanZierke]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Just recently read an article on eating an egg buried in a closed container in Water Glass for 60 YEARS! It was edible (NOT ME), and had a thick "covering" over the eggs, under the shell, around the "inner" egg and eaten, it was not delicious, but edible! I do not believe an egg submerged in Water Glass would hatch. Hatching eggs need to be turned at intervals-- Unwashed, clean eggs will keep--and hatch, kept at room temperature, or cool basement in heat of summer, in cartons that are raised by one end, with ends reversed once or twice a day. After 2 weeks can expect good hatches and 3 weeks, most will hatch. Eggs should be dated, day of lay. Can replace from end of carton as freshest addition eggs keep the 2 weeks limit. I hen-hatched with bantams, and chose the freshest 6-8 eggs (parents band numbers also on the eggs) and some from different breeding pens, so that with luck, sexes might match to offer same hatch youngsters, raised together, as suitable birds to breed on with best type and known varieties. Small incubators, if you do not have setters. You know that a free range hen can sneak a nest. She may lay an egg every day or most days--and maybe 21or more eggs will be there when she sets and she can be expected to bring in a full hatch--or maybe the last egg will not make it before she leaves with her chicks. If you find it, and can keep it warm, you might hatch it, too. and in a day or two, can add it to her clutch! Good luck....

#117543 - 03/11/21 02:29 AM Re: Incubating eggs preserved in lime [Re: CJR]
RyanZierke Offline
Chicken

Loc: Minnesota
Thanks for the reply!

Wow, 60 years is a long time!

I agree that it doesn't seem like something that will work well. I assume that the lack of oxygen due to being submerged in liquid would ruin the viability of the eggs. At the same time, without access to air the air sack would not grow?...which is the main indicator of how old an egg is? When I learned about water glassing it got me interested as I have been thinking about different ways to insure my flock against disaster. It would sure be nice to be able to take a few dozen eggs and store them for an extended period of time!

Hens sure know what they are doing! I had an Old English hen hatch out 15 of her own eggs last summer, it took her close to three weeks to lay them all, I was very surprised when they all hatched.

Anyway, I think I'll get some lime and experiment just to see what'll happen.

Edited by RyanZierke (03/11/21 02:30 AM)

#117544 - 03/12/21 07:51 AM Re: Incubating eggs preserved in lime [Re: RyanZierke]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
If you do, let us know the results.........(not my hen's eggs!) But no reason not to try "something different"----
to give the answer----- to satisfy that question!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box