Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1173 - 03/11/05 06:38 AM How to darken nesting boxes
Weezie Offline
Bantam

Loc: North Carolina
I have read many places about the darkened box, but can't find HOW to do it. I envision sewing little curtains across the metal door frame, but would the girls prefer paisley or stripes?
Seriously, how to they get past the curtain? (DUH??)

#1174 - 03/11/05 03:51 PM Re: How to darken nesting boxes
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
I used some old blue jeans and cut a piece to cover the entrence to the nest and put one split up the middle of it. I covered two nests completely, one nest just half way down and left one open.

Bill L.

#1175 - 03/11/05 03:58 PM Re: How to darken nesting boxes
Weezie Offline
Bantam

Thanks;
Just wasn't even sure how to start!

#1176 - 03/11/05 09:08 PM Re: How to darken nesting boxes
HD Chick Offline
Chicken

Loc: Wyoming
My boxes look like Condo's with all the different curtain styles, not to much trouble just stapled material along the top and sides and did some different tie back style and some accordian (going up) styles too. I just overlapped material and hid all the staples so they don't show at all. It's real cute wink

#1177 - 03/12/05 04:35 AM Re: How to darken nesting boxes
Weezie Offline
Bantam

Another thought, now....Will this be a traumatic change for them? The curtains? I've read from you all to make changes gradually.....
Louisa

#1178 - 03/12/05 07:44 AM Re: How to darken nesting boxes
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Not unless they are a wild print material with a lot of contrast in color of the print. I used to use cut up gunnysacks--a rare commodity nowdays. You can leave a crack for them to see into their favorite nest! They just push in and are happy to be "hidden". CJR

#1179 - 03/12/05 07:46 AM Re: How to darken nesting boxes
Weezie Offline
Bantam

OK, great! Thanks.
Louisa

#1180 - 03/12/05 01:59 PM Re: How to darken nesting boxes
Anonymous
Unregistered

FWIW...

I didn't do anything to fancy for mine and I had a concern about how dirty cloth would get so I used those giant black lawn and leaf bags. My nest boxes are built on a metal frame so I duct-taped the garbage bags to the frame (use GOOD duct tape that sticks really well...cheap duct tape will not stick for long) and made the requisite slits/cuts in the bags (took two as my nest box set-up is 8ft long). My chickens took to the covered boxes right away and I no longer have egg eating problems. All of the nests get used now instead of just the darkest two. One of my ducks will lay in them as well.

I am considering going to material though. My plan is to use a heavier denim type and sew velcro on one side and put sticky velcro on the metal frame. This way I can take the "curtains" down and wash them as needed. I will probably do this with two sets of "curtains" so I can have one to hang up while the other is being washed.

#1181 - 03/12/05 08:09 PM Re: How to darken nesting boxes
Weezie Offline
Bantam

This is so interesting! I had no idea it was so important to darken nesting boxes! But my eggs are getting fewer and fewer. And I am "Easter Egg hunting" every day to try to find the missing eggs.....

#1182 - 03/14/05 10:20 PM Re: How to darken nesting boxes
HD Chick Offline
Chicken

Loc: Wyoming
I too noticed after the curtains went up they used all of the boxes and no egg eating problems here. Because the curtains do not go all the to the ground of the box and because they are on the outside of the wood slat at the entrance (to keep the shaving/straw in) they do not get dirty AT ALL. Dusty yes, but no filth. By the way that slat is only 1/4 inch thick so they can't perch there. I learned the hard way on that one too. Mine must push threw also on some styles, others have enough gap to peek in/out. I used some old country print had around, faded pink plaid, they seem to agree with it just fine, teehee.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 83 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box