Topic Options
#11861 - 06/04/05 11:44 PM Broken Feathers
Marchick Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
I have a Barred Rock who never fully recovered from her very gradual molt over the winter.

Now I am realising it is because her feathers in a lot of areas have been, what seems to be, broken off either at the tips, middle or bases.

They look different from plucked feathers and seem to be on her face, neck, tail and chest.

We have examined her closely and can not see any mites or other external parasites.

If her roost mates where doing it to her, would they not pull the whole feather? Her sister is in excellent condition and she is the only bird in the flock who has this problem.

has anyone seen this sort of feather damage before? Any ideas to what it could be?

It seems to be getting worse and she is looking very raggidy looking.

#11862 - 06/05/05 04:40 AM Re: Broken Feathers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've seen it before in my flocks. Usually just one or two birds involved. I always chalked it up to feather picking of lower ranking members of the flock. Sometimes the feathers seems to break off rather than being plucked out whole. Even though my flocks generally have about 6-8 square feet per bird of indoor space plus access to outside, I still see this from time to time in certain flocks. It does make those one or two birds involved look pretty ratty, but I've never figured out how to stop it totally.

#11863 - 06/05/05 01:57 PM Re: Broken Feathers
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you do have a broken feather, DON'T pluck it out! If you pluck a feather, two will grow back in its place.

#11864 - 06/05/05 08:58 PM Re: Broken Feathers
Marchick Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
Thanks for the comments. She is about 3rd or 4th from the top but perhaps the other top few are doing this to her.

I was just concerned that it might be something else more sinsister. She just looks awful!

#11865 - 06/06/05 06:55 PM Re: Broken Feathers
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Only one will grow back, common to pluck ratty feathers 6-7 weeks before a show. I wish that were true , 2 for 1! My birds with the multiple feather gene would really be feather heavy! Sometimes the main sickle in tail will not grow back, I found this out because a bird got his 34 inch tail wrapped around the roost and I had to break it off then I pulled them and they didnt grow back, yet. I might have to wait for a molt and some only molt their tails every couple years.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2