Topic Options
#11901 - 01/02/09 07:35 AM bum leg
Chris2001 Offline
Chick

Loc: Alabama
I have a hen with a hurt leg and will not walk. I put her on her back and didnt feel any breaks. This happened over a week ago. I put her in a pen by her self hoping she would get better. I go out 3 times a day to move her and scoope out the poop. She eats and drinks and lays eggs but just will not walk. confused Can anyone tell me how to check for dislocated leg and how to put is back in. confused She is the fist hen I got and hate to put her down but it might be best if she dont show any sign of getting better.

#11902 - 01/02/09 08:25 AM Re: bum leg
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
How old is she chris? Could Marek's be an option or was she vaccinated at the hatchery?

NOTE: Vaccines aren't 100% foolproof, but at least lower the chance of the disease.

#11903 - 01/02/09 07:51 PM Re: bum leg
Chris2001 Offline
Chick

Loc: Alabama
She is just over one year old. I got her and her 4 sisters as chicks from a family member. I was sitting outside and had all the chickens out running around the yard. I got 4 young Jersey Giant rosters that are about 6 months old. One of them was trying to have his way with her and the others 3 jumped in and I got them off her because something was not right and there she was not able to walk. She was just fine till that second.

#11904 - 01/02/09 08:43 PM Re: bum leg
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Perhaps the roosters have dislocated a joint in her leg by the weight they put on her. If you can, put her along your arm so that you support her body with you spread hand, but have her legs dangling. You can also tuck her head under your arm if she needs to be immobilized. This will give you a chance to compare her lame leg with her good one. If you can't feel anything obvious, very gently flex and extend her joints one at a time and feel for any resistance finishing with her hip joint. This should give you a chance to find out if there is any particular place she is sore. If all feels ok, check very carefully for any signs of bruising under her feathers, and particularly her back where a clumsy young rooster may have treadled her. Also check for any puncture marks. Heavy young birds may also have broken a bone in her back or ribcage which could be painful for her for a while. Keep her separate from the others and good nursing may be the key to her recovery.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2