Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#12042 - 12/29/06 09:54 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Blue Lace Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
If you do plan to keep him after his feet fall off you might consider making him some little leather "boots". I know it sounds crazy but if he has no toes, he's going to have a hard time keeping his balance. If he just has two knobs on the ends of his legs and trying to stay upright, well... don't know how that would go. But that's the kind of person I am. I'd probably keep him too but make some kind of boot you can tie onto the ends of his legs that have some sort of platform that spreads out so he can stabilize himself. You might need padding under the knobs too. Without all this you might have recurring infections because the legs just were not made to be walking on the ground.

If you think you might want to take this route, I don't know how "creative" you are but if you want, I can think about this further and possibly come up with a design for you to start with. Of course he doesn't live here or I could probably do it for you.

Let me know.

#12043 - 01/05/07 08:50 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
The black has not moved up the leg at all. He is gaining weight and his comb and wattles are coming in. His voice has not changed from the 'chick turning into adult' yet.

Actually, do you think that weather treated small dog booties may work? I understand that once the toes fall off, the stumps may be more susceptible to bacteria and infection, so I think the legs wrapped in gauze and vet wrap, along with some dog botties may be of use to him?

I don't understand it...there is absolutely no physical way for him to get into the coop at night. In order for him to get in, he would have to jump up onto a ramp that has holes inbetween slats for the other birds to grab ahold of. His legs would fall inbetween these slats and he'd get stuck. I just don't understand how in the world he is getting inside of the coop at night!

#12044 - 01/10/07 04:36 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

UPDATE: I can see a separation point between the feet and the legs, so it shouldn't be too long before he's a footless wonder. He is able to get into the coop, but I go up every night just to make sure. He's gaining weight, and his comb and wattles have started turning pink. Still no change in the voice??

#12045 - 01/11/07 09:55 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Because of the poor weather, I moved Frodo into a back bathroom that we never use. It's offically called the "Chick Room." I moved him in there and as I went to sit him down, no foot!!! I freaked because if my mom sees that lying somewhere, she is going to go balistic! I noticed he was bleeding a little bit...and being the brilliant bird that he is, he began pecking at it. It's the middle of the night, I'm trying to clean, gauze, and wrap a bird that insists on pecking himself. He's inside the area now and is doing fine. He acts as if nothing ever happened.

So, one foot down...one to go. Oh, I found the foot lying in the hallway. Mom will never know...but I'm showing it to Dad!!

#12046 - 01/12/07 07:23 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Wyattdogster Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Virginia
OMG Mikaela.....I can just see the scenario playing out, but with your MOM finding the foot!! eek Hysteria!
Keep us updated....wondering how he will get around and roost and such. Trying to picture him scratching in the grass....hmmmm......I feel so sorry for him. frown

#12047 - 01/12/07 08:51 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nebraska
If he has no pain there are worse things in life. Animals don't view the world the way humans do. He won't feel sorry for himself all day or wonder why he's different from all the other birds. He'll go about the business of life, just in a different way. The problem is, he won't be able to balance on the leg stubs. I think you'll have to come up with some sort of "artificial foot" for him. If he doesn't seem to be in pain or suffering and you don't mind caring for him I say let him live. I'd get some styptic powder or a styptic pencil from the pet store (used when clipping dog toenails) so when the other foot falls off you can stop the bleeding. He won't be as likely to pick at it if it isn't bleeding.

#12048 - 01/12/07 11:57 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

He's balancing on them much better than when he actually had that one foot. There wasn't much blood, but there was a drop or two, then it stopped. I mainly wrapped it up so that the litter wouldn't get into the holes and cause an infection of some sort while the open parts are healing. I think he'll be fine as long as his stubs heal well. After that, he'll be able to go back to the flock and function as normally as he did when he had 2 black feet.

He LOVES to run to me when I go into the pen. At first, I figured he was like all the others and just wanted the feed. Then, I put him next to the feed, and he left it! He hobbled over to me and sat on my feet. I picked him up and moved him and his feed bowl to another area. I went about the chores and he was back in less than a minute! I now carry him around. If he wasn't such a sweet little squirt, I wouldn't have any second thoughts of euthanizing him.

Thanks for the help. I'll try to keep ya'll posted!
Mikaela

#12049 - 01/17/07 06:47 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Blue Lace Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
Mikaela,

I would give the little weathered dog booties a try. You don't have anything to lose... except maybe Frodo. Endless infections on the bottoms of those stubs might do him in.

I think the hardest part of the boots for him will be devising a way to keep the toes pointed forward.

Let us know how that goes.

Do you have any pics of him walking around without the feet? He sounds like a real sweet heart.

I think probably, in regards to the voice not changing, all of this trouble with his feet has set him back quite a bit. I didn't realize he was only a chick. I wouldn't worry about his voice though. It sounds like he's growing up and he may just take a bit longer to reach maturity.

#12050 - 01/17/07 09:20 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

I don't think I have to worry about toes being pointed forward. I could just put the weathered dog slippers further up his little legs until the foot is still padded without anything sticking out in front. Plus...without toes, it makes it a little easier to configure around his feet! lol. One of his feet is still on there, but it shouldn't be long until it falls off. It is just black and acts like a stump. I'm sure once it falls off, his balance will be much better as both legs will be about the same length. I am worried that the wound being on the underside of the "stump" will be more vulnerable to infection, or more prone to injury than his other foot. Am I correct in that assumption??

I could try to get some with him walking around. Right now, I'm stuck in Arkansas because I can't get back to ice-strucken Oklahoma. I mean...this is the worst ice storm some of the elders have ever seen. My grandparents have yet to get power and it happened last Friday. More snow is supposed to be dumped on top of that 3" of ice. At least Frodo is warm and safe. The heat lamps in my coop keep freezing over. That's when you know it's a little cold...

He's not really a chick. He's 7.5 months old. He should have already been attempting to crow by months now. It is a good thing though...he's not loud in the bathroom. When I get back to OK, there should be some new pics available! I wish I could post a video, but I don't know of a free site that offers the service? It is nice not having to worry about hens getting overbred! lol! It's just too bad he can't be with the rest of the flock right now. But I just couldn't take the chance. I figured he'd fare much better in the back bathroom than in the coop.

#12051 - 01/29/07 08:51 AM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Well, he lost his other foot. I wasn't really worried about that, but he would ONLY eat Scratch. So, my dad only fed him scratch.

When I got back to OK (2 weeks later) Frodo had lost so much weight. He's got another issue, but I'm not too worried about it. If you hold him a certain way, he gets frustrated and puts his neck down (sort of like it falls down) and he starts shaking it. When you set him back down, he stops the shaking of the neck, but it takes a little bit to lift his neck and head back up. While his neck is bent under his body, his nose runs, his breathing slows, and his eyes run a little. I think the main problem is the lack of nutrition, so I'm only allowing him to eat 15% layer crumbles.

I'm thinking about getting some Terramycin from the Tractor Supply Co. in Arkansas to help with any viral infections he may have contracted, and maybe to help with any infections he may be fighting with the loss of his feet. Does that sound like a good idea, or should I just wait and see how the feed takes effect on him?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2