Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#12052 - 01/30/07 05:14 AM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Belgium
How about ending the poor animal's suffering, at last? .... and please do not say it doesn't hurt because he can't tell.
Sorry, jrsygntbrdr1, just my opinion, your choice.

#12053 - 01/30/07 08:47 AM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Anny, I"m sorry to have to disagree with you. I've been working with my birds for many years. It has taken me many years to see when a bird is suffering and wishing to die. Frodo is not the case. He only does his head thing when I'm putting his diaper on him. He eats, drinks, "bwoks" and runs on his stumps and is perfectly happy in the house. He is in the lap of luxury and I intend to keep it that way.

Thank you for your opinion, but like you said, it is my choice. I was simply asking if some Terramycin would be a good idea to add to his water based on his new (I'm supposing) viral symptoms and his past problems with his feet.

Thanks for any help!
Mikaela

#12054 - 02/01/07 12:53 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Smoky73 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Colorado
I want to add that you will have to make sure that whatever idea you come up with for boots for him, will have to be well padded. The leg bone will come to the end, and with no muscle covering it , possibly just skin, walking on it will cause the skin to break down and could leave the bone and nerves exposed and painful when he walks. Just be sure that you provide some kind of thick padding on bottom to protect the new stumps from injury.

#12055 - 02/01/07 08:32 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nebraska
Since no one commented on your question about the antibiotics I'll give you my opinion. If a human were in this predicament they would get prophylactic antibiotics. I think at this point it wouldn't hurt him any. He's certainly suffered a lot of stress the last weeks and a little help fighting off whatever he's got would be a good idea. I'd do the Terramycin for 7-10 days and see how he does.

#12056 - 02/02/07 05:25 AM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hello,

sorry for jumping in, I just thought of the duration, it surprises me. Please donīt get me wrong, I donīt question your advise Fowl Lover, I only would like to ask if Tylan wouldnīt be "faster"?

Ever when we use Tylan thereīs a huge improvement in the birds even on the first day, no kidding! On the second day the most, but some react on the first day already. We give it 3 days according to our vet, we prefer Tylan over Baytril & Co. for this reason;-)

Just a thought, again, not ment to question your advise, okay?

Best greetings,

Joachim

#12057 - 02/04/07 01:47 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

smoky73, here's a pic of him with his booties. Would this work? See how he looks so alert now...he looks somewhat happy. Unfortunately, the pic shows him ticked off because he's wanting his food. He does walk, but having the diaper on sort of inhibits the natural steps. He has learned how to walk with it and LOVES sleeping on the bed.

I was scared because he wasn't really responding to the Terramycin the way I wanted him to. Now, he's not dripping the way he used to. He still does the neck thing, but I've realized it doesn't seem to harm him.

Here's a pic of him, could you comment on how he looks...I mean, I see him everyday and improvment is biased in my opinion. Could you comment on how he looks healthwise and how "happy" he looks?

Here's one of him randomly looking at his feet and messing with his diaper again...

#12058 - 02/05/07 02:00 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Smoky73 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Colorado
Well, he doesnt look too terribly bad does he? The one stump that I can see in the second picture looks pretty good actually, seems to be pretty well healed up. The vet wrap seems good, but I would think more of a shoe would work better. Something that I picture in my head would be like a cap to a human walker, or something similar, a rubber stopper kinda idea? Then you could put lots of padding inside of it for his stump, and would give him nice flat soles to walk on that would hold up really well. You could probably keep them on with vet wrap pretty easily. Does that help at all for a discription?
(course you could get him some baby Nikes or something...wouldnt that be cute? LOL)

#12059 - 02/05/07 02:33 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Ohh!!! That's a brilliant idea!!! I didn't even think of a rubber stopper! He will probably continue living with me inside the house. I've grown a little too attached to him to have him not sleeping in my bed.

Tried the baby shoes...they don't stay on real well becuase he doesn't have any toes to help keep them on. I mean..without the toes to help balance the shoes, it makes it really difficult for him. Wound up taking them back to Wallie World.

Actually, he's starting to lose his dripping nose and his head is starting to turn pink and red! It makes me excited! I can't believe he's doing so well. I will try to take more pictures as he gets better.

Is there anything else you guys would suggest to keep him comfortable. Do you think I'll ever be able to reintroduce him into the flock? I am thinning it down so he may be able to have his own little home all to himself and Tinkerbell the cat.

#12060 - 02/05/07 02:34 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Garden Chick Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Minnesota
We had a hen, decades ago, that we found on the road, had fallen off a truck in the winter, her toes eventually fell off to the main joint, much like Frodo. She got huge callus' on the bottom, and laid an egg a day the rest of her life, at least three years.

#12061 - 02/05/07 02:51 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
I would expect his feet will callus in time, but have you thought of using those finger bandages? The sort you cut double length and then twist at the bottom, (but half way up) before pushing the rest of the length over itself. It's a similar product to what humans use for stump bandages. It would make a tidy little "Sock" to go inside his boots. It's called tubular bandage over here and comes with a plastic applicater to help put it on.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2