Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#12032 - 12/17/06 01:03 PM Toes falling off (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
I need a little bit of help on this one. I have a Light Brahma X Orpington cross...thing. I don't know if it's a male or a female. It has no wattles and barely has a comb...so I have no clue. He's almost 7 months ( I call it a he because it has the feathering of a male, but the voice and maturity rate of a female?) Anyway...the problem is, the males that I had placed "Frodo" with apparently abused him. I saw it wasn't moving around much, so I went and saved it. I picked the bird up and I bet you it weighed less than a pound. Poor thing. I noticed he also had trouble walking, and after a good look, noticed that his toes are cold to the touch, and turning purplish black. Not one of the other roosters or any other birds for that matter have ANY issues with their feet right now. I'm assuming Frodo used to sleep on the ground, where it would be warmer than on the fencing...where the other roosters slept.

Pretty soon, all that will be left are nubs on his legs. He's already lost all circulation to one of his toes, and it is hard as a rock. It's bulged at his "ankle." Is there anything I can do help him besides putting him down. He's awfully sweet...and for some reason, I feel there's a reason he's this way?

Thank you for any help. He is gaining weight, but if gangrene is running rampant in his feet, there's not much hope for him. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on with his feet? Why both feet? If you'd like, I could attempt to post pictures, but the dial-up connection really puts a damper on things!

Mikaela

Here are the pics that I just took:

This one looks like one of his feet have already lost the toes, but they haven't fallen off yet. They are just curled back under his foot. Keep in mind that Frodo CAN walk on this and actually gets around very well.

#12033 - 12/18/06 08:28 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nebraska
HMMM--well, if it's been cold perhaps he's not allowed to sleep where he can keep his feet warm and it is the cold. Perhaps it's a nutrition issue. I guess at this point the why isn't so much the question as "what to do?". If you really want to try to save him there are a few things you should do. Put him in a warm (not over heated) place with soft bedding. Those feet are awfully fragile right now. You can soak the feet in tepid/warm water. Test to be sure it's not hot. Maybe even add some epsom salts to that. Give him easy access to feed and water. I'd also get him some antibiotics. Probably a pennicillin injection followed by an oral antibiotic for a couple weeks. Keep something on the feet like bag balm or something to keep the skin in good shape as he heals. That's all that comes to my mind right now but I'll keep mulling it over, if I come up with something else I'll let you know.

#12034 - 12/18/06 09:03 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Foehn Online   content
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
You could maybe treat his feet as you would for ulcers. If you have such a thing over there, use vaseline (may also be known as petroleum jelly) in 2-1 parts with cod liver oil. Bring it to the boil with small squares of gauze in it stirring ocaisionally. This sterilizes the gauze. Be warned it smells dammed horrible, so you might want to cook it outside in a "throwaway" pot or tin. Let is go cold and set. Wrap the gauze around the affected toes and put drawstring boots on his feet. tie knots he won't unpick. You may need to crank up the sewing machine and make some boots. Replace the gauze packing every second day, and don't leave them around to be eaten, chooks like cod liver oil.

#12035 - 12/24/06 11:18 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

I had him inside of the back bathroom and gave him daily soakings in the Epsom salts. Unfortunately, nothing happened. His feet have gotten harder and he's lost another toe. His other foot has started curling under, but he is walking better than he was? My parents wouldn't let me do the cod-liver oil treatment as we don't own any throw-away pots...my dad likes to keep EVERYTHING!

We thought he was going to die awhile back as he stopped eating for 2 days, then started right back up. I don't know what is wrong with this bird. I figured the bird would be alright if it was missing a couple of toes, but as of right now, his entire foot from the bottom part of the ankle down is getting ready to go. I mean, it's as though someone drew a line at the ankle joints and the bottom part of the line is where the foot is blue, then purple, then blackish/red and all scrunched up. I'm afraid that if the bird actually does lose both feet, we may have to put it down. It's not much of a life to sit in one spot all day long. Even though he doesn't seem to mind having to hobble to get around. He's also VERY good friends with my cat, so maybe he'll make a good friend for her??

Is there something else I can do to make him a little more comfortable? I moved him back out into the flock and he's back at the bottom of the pecking order, but he's better off than being the female in a group full of males! (I STILL can't tell if it's a male or a female!)

Mikaela

#12036 - 12/26/06 05:50 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Gina Elmore Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: South Dakota
i had a chicken like this. his foot fell off and the vet diagnosed it as bumblefoot. He walked around just fine and he lived until i gave him away to a friend. id just let it live as it is with a friend that doesnt pick on it.
-GME

#12037 - 12/26/06 09:42 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Chris Link Offline
Chicken

Loc: Missouri
I would say he suffered sever frostbite on his feet.. Probibly from the poor condition you said he was in when you noticed him... Probibly be best to put him down cause the next hard cold snap i'd say he will perish unless you step in and save his life again.. Personally I don't want to be a slave to poor helpless chickens and if he were to somehow manage to survive would those weak genetics be something you would like to add to a flock? Next winter you could have a whole house full of birds cause they can't make it outside... Not every egg that hatches is going to grow into a productive bird some are weak and will die natures way of culling the weak if you cheat it you will pay for it down the road... Chris

#12038 - 12/27/06 01:46 AM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Foehn Online   content
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Sounds like he has a dry form of gangrene in which case it will keep on creeping and you will not be able to save his life. May have started from any one of a number of things. Frostbite, poor circulation, heart defect, spiderbite.....
Oh and you can use either an empty fruit can or similar in place of the "throwawaypot" but a good stainless steel pot will scour out successfully with some elbow grease on that cod liver oil recipe!

#12039 - 12/27/06 06:08 AM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
T. Adkerson Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
The feet on your chickens should be cold. It is not unusual for the feet to be in 37 to 40 degrees F when the temperature is O F. Looks like that bird had poor circulation to his feet. Birds have a counter current system called the rete mirabile that works to conserve heat. Evidently your birds system did not work properly or there was vascular damage in the feet.

Tim

#12040 - 12/29/06 09:30 AM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

I have an oddball idea of what may have happened. Since he was the low man on the totem pole in the rooster/meat pen, when there was a HUGE snow here, maybe he wasn't allowed to get anywhere else but the snowed on ground?? Could that have caused this? It's just so odd because none of my other birds have this problem. They had all the same feed. I guess I'm going to assume that because he was forced by the top birds in the pen to stay on the ground (where the snow was) and the top birds also kept him away from the feed, that it was a melting pot for trouble.

As for being a slave Chris_link, I've done MUCH worse than go and pick a bird up and put it in the coop every night. When I was a kid, I fed a full-grown bird through a tube. I didn't know that it was Marek's at the time...I was young! I slaved over that bird for 2 years. I loved her though. Frodo, if a male, will probably never breed and I'm okay with that. He seems content to be let out every so often to forage (under supervision) and to sleep. If it's a hen and does eventually lay an egg, it's alright. I'm only using the Minorca eggs (they're the only ones in the pen that lay white eggs! lol!) for hatching. So no problems with mixed up brown-eggers except for the ones I'm purposely mixing!

Foehn, this "creeping" gangrene would move up the leg, or would it just contaminate his blood system and eventually kill him due to infection? Would I be able to see the gangrene on the outside of the leg? He is gaining weight and the line at the ankle has not gotten any wider and hasn't started moving up the leg. Should I be watching for signs of green/black/purple moving up the leg?

Thanks for all the help guys! He seems to be doing fine other than getting bullied around a little bit. They don't bother him NEARLY as much as the roosters did! He even has a small friend that's about 3 months old now!

#12041 - 12/29/06 11:58 AM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

The parts that are hard and black are already dead and cannot be revived. There is no circulation and no hope they'll "come back." They'll likely fall off on their own, but do keep an eye out for the gangrene spreading further up the leg. If need be, you can TIGHTLY tie off the stump- although personally I'd rather just put the poor thing down than let it go to that extreme. I'd suggest giving it a dose of twin-pen (procaine penicillin "G") to help arrest infection, along with boosted vitamins in the water & clean, dry living quarters until things heal up.

#12042 - 12/29/06 09:54 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Blue Lace Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
If you do plan to keep him after his feet fall off you might consider making him some little leather "boots". I know it sounds crazy but if he has no toes, he's going to have a hard time keeping his balance. If he just has two knobs on the ends of his legs and trying to stay upright, well... don't know how that would go. But that's the kind of person I am. I'd probably keep him too but make some kind of boot you can tie onto the ends of his legs that have some sort of platform that spreads out so he can stabilize himself. You might need padding under the knobs too. Without all this you might have recurring infections because the legs just were not made to be walking on the ground.

If you think you might want to take this route, I don't know how "creative" you are but if you want, I can think about this further and possibly come up with a design for you to start with. Of course he doesn't live here or I could probably do it for you.

Let me know.

#12043 - 01/05/07 08:50 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

The black has not moved up the leg at all. He is gaining weight and his comb and wattles are coming in. His voice has not changed from the 'chick turning into adult' yet.

Actually, do you think that weather treated small dog booties may work? I understand that once the toes fall off, the stumps may be more susceptible to bacteria and infection, so I think the legs wrapped in gauze and vet wrap, along with some dog botties may be of use to him?

I don't understand it...there is absolutely no physical way for him to get into the coop at night. In order for him to get in, he would have to jump up onto a ramp that has holes inbetween slats for the other birds to grab ahold of. His legs would fall inbetween these slats and he'd get stuck. I just don't understand how in the world he is getting inside of the coop at night!

#12044 - 01/10/07 04:36 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

UPDATE: I can see a separation point between the feet and the legs, so it shouldn't be too long before he's a footless wonder. He is able to get into the coop, but I go up every night just to make sure. He's gaining weight, and his comb and wattles have started turning pink. Still no change in the voice??

#12045 - 01/11/07 09:55 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Because of the poor weather, I moved Frodo into a back bathroom that we never use. It's offically called the "Chick Room." I moved him in there and as I went to sit him down, no foot!!! I freaked because if my mom sees that lying somewhere, she is going to go balistic! I noticed he was bleeding a little bit...and being the brilliant bird that he is, he began pecking at it. It's the middle of the night, I'm trying to clean, gauze, and wrap a bird that insists on pecking himself. He's inside the area now and is doing fine. He acts as if nothing ever happened.

So, one foot down...one to go. Oh, I found the foot lying in the hallway. Mom will never know...but I'm showing it to Dad!!

#12046 - 01/12/07 07:23 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Wyattdogster Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Virginia
OMG Mikaela.....I can just see the scenario playing out, but with your MOM finding the foot!! eek Hysteria!
Keep us updated....wondering how he will get around and roost and such. Trying to picture him scratching in the grass....hmmmm......I feel so sorry for him. frown

#12047 - 01/12/07 08:51 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

If he has no pain there are worse things in life. Animals don't view the world the way humans do. He won't feel sorry for himself all day or wonder why he's different from all the other birds. He'll go about the business of life, just in a different way. The problem is, he won't be able to balance on the leg stubs. I think you'll have to come up with some sort of "artificial foot" for him. If he doesn't seem to be in pain or suffering and you don't mind caring for him I say let him live. I'd get some styptic powder or a styptic pencil from the pet store (used when clipping dog toenails) so when the other foot falls off you can stop the bleeding. He won't be as likely to pick at it if it isn't bleeding.

#12048 - 01/12/07 11:57 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

He's balancing on them much better than when he actually had that one foot. There wasn't much blood, but there was a drop or two, then it stopped. I mainly wrapped it up so that the litter wouldn't get into the holes and cause an infection of some sort while the open parts are healing. I think he'll be fine as long as his stubs heal well. After that, he'll be able to go back to the flock and function as normally as he did when he had 2 black feet.

He LOVES to run to me when I go into the pen. At first, I figured he was like all the others and just wanted the feed. Then, I put him next to the feed, and he left it! He hobbled over to me and sat on my feet. I picked him up and moved him and his feed bowl to another area. I went about the chores and he was back in less than a minute! I now carry him around. If he wasn't such a sweet little squirt, I wouldn't have any second thoughts of euthanizing him.

Thanks for the help. I'll try to keep ya'll posted!
Mikaela

#12049 - 01/17/07 06:47 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Blue Lace Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
Mikaela,

I would give the little weathered dog booties a try. You don't have anything to lose... except maybe Frodo. Endless infections on the bottoms of those stubs might do him in.

I think the hardest part of the boots for him will be devising a way to keep the toes pointed forward.

Let us know how that goes.

Do you have any pics of him walking around without the feet? He sounds like a real sweet heart.

I think probably, in regards to the voice not changing, all of this trouble with his feet has set him back quite a bit. I didn't realize he was only a chick. I wouldn't worry about his voice though. It sounds like he's growing up and he may just take a bit longer to reach maturity.

#12050 - 01/17/07 09:20 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

I don't think I have to worry about toes being pointed forward. I could just put the weathered dog slippers further up his little legs until the foot is still padded without anything sticking out in front. Plus...without toes, it makes it a little easier to configure around his feet! lol. One of his feet is still on there, but it shouldn't be long until it falls off. It is just black and acts like a stump. I'm sure once it falls off, his balance will be much better as both legs will be about the same length. I am worried that the wound being on the underside of the "stump" will be more vulnerable to infection, or more prone to injury than his other foot. Am I correct in that assumption??

I could try to get some with him walking around. Right now, I'm stuck in Arkansas because I can't get back to ice-strucken Oklahoma. I mean...this is the worst ice storm some of the elders have ever seen. My grandparents have yet to get power and it happened last Friday. More snow is supposed to be dumped on top of that 3" of ice. At least Frodo is warm and safe. The heat lamps in my coop keep freezing over. That's when you know it's a little cold...

He's not really a chick. He's 7.5 months old. He should have already been attempting to crow by months now. It is a good thing though...he's not loud in the bathroom. When I get back to OK, there should be some new pics available! I wish I could post a video, but I don't know of a free site that offers the service? It is nice not having to worry about hens getting overbred! lol! It's just too bad he can't be with the rest of the flock right now. But I just couldn't take the chance. I figured he'd fare much better in the back bathroom than in the coop.

#12051 - 01/29/07 08:51 AM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Well, he lost his other foot. I wasn't really worried about that, but he would ONLY eat Scratch. So, my dad only fed him scratch.

When I got back to OK (2 weeks later) Frodo had lost so much weight. He's got another issue, but I'm not too worried about it. If you hold him a certain way, he gets frustrated and puts his neck down (sort of like it falls down) and he starts shaking it. When you set him back down, he stops the shaking of the neck, but it takes a little bit to lift his neck and head back up. While his neck is bent under his body, his nose runs, his breathing slows, and his eyes run a little. I think the main problem is the lack of nutrition, so I'm only allowing him to eat 15% layer crumbles.

I'm thinking about getting some Terramycin from the Tractor Supply Co. in Arkansas to help with any viral infections he may have contracted, and maybe to help with any infections he may be fighting with the loss of his feet. Does that sound like a good idea, or should I just wait and see how the feed takes effect on him?

#12052 - 01/30/07 05:14 AM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Belgium
How about ending the poor animal's suffering, at last? .... and please do not say it doesn't hurt because he can't tell.
Sorry, jrsygntbrdr1, just my opinion, your choice.

#12053 - 01/30/07 08:47 AM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Anny, I"m sorry to have to disagree with you. I've been working with my birds for many years. It has taken me many years to see when a bird is suffering and wishing to die. Frodo is not the case. He only does his head thing when I'm putting his diaper on him. He eats, drinks, "bwoks" and runs on his stumps and is perfectly happy in the house. He is in the lap of luxury and I intend to keep it that way.

Thank you for your opinion, but like you said, it is my choice. I was simply asking if some Terramycin would be a good idea to add to his water based on his new (I'm supposing) viral symptoms and his past problems with his feet.

Thanks for any help!
Mikaela

#12054 - 02/01/07 12:53 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Smoky73 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Colorado
I want to add that you will have to make sure that whatever idea you come up with for boots for him, will have to be well padded. The leg bone will come to the end, and with no muscle covering it , possibly just skin, walking on it will cause the skin to break down and could leave the bone and nerves exposed and painful when he walks. Just be sure that you provide some kind of thick padding on bottom to protect the new stumps from injury.

#12055 - 02/01/07 08:32 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

Since no one commented on your question about the antibiotics I'll give you my opinion. If a human were in this predicament they would get prophylactic antibiotics. I think at this point it wouldn't hurt him any. He's certainly suffered a lot of stress the last weeks and a little help fighting off whatever he's got would be a good idea. I'd do the Terramycin for 7-10 days and see how he does.

#12056 - 02/02/07 05:25 AM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hello,

sorry for jumping in, I just thought of the duration, it surprises me. Please donīt get me wrong, I donīt question your advise Fowl Lover, I only would like to ask if Tylan wouldnīt be "faster"?

Ever when we use Tylan thereīs a huge improvement in the birds even on the first day, no kidding! On the second day the most, but some react on the first day already. We give it 3 days according to our vet, we prefer Tylan over Baytril & Co. for this reason;-)

Just a thought, again, not ment to question your advise, okay?

Best greetings,

Joachim

#12057 - 02/04/07 01:47 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

smoky73, here's a pic of him with his booties. Would this work? See how he looks so alert now...he looks somewhat happy. Unfortunately, the pic shows him ticked off because he's wanting his food. He does walk, but having the diaper on sort of inhibits the natural steps. He has learned how to walk with it and LOVES sleeping on the bed.

I was scared because he wasn't really responding to the Terramycin the way I wanted him to. Now, he's not dripping the way he used to. He still does the neck thing, but I've realized it doesn't seem to harm him.

Here's a pic of him, could you comment on how he looks...I mean, I see him everyday and improvment is biased in my opinion. Could you comment on how he looks healthwise and how "happy" he looks?

Here's one of him randomly looking at his feet and messing with his diaper again...

#12058 - 02/05/07 02:00 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Smoky73 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Colorado
Well, he doesnt look too terribly bad does he? The one stump that I can see in the second picture looks pretty good actually, seems to be pretty well healed up. The vet wrap seems good, but I would think more of a shoe would work better. Something that I picture in my head would be like a cap to a human walker, or something similar, a rubber stopper kinda idea? Then you could put lots of padding inside of it for his stump, and would give him nice flat soles to walk on that would hold up really well. You could probably keep them on with vet wrap pretty easily. Does that help at all for a discription?
(course you could get him some baby Nikes or something...wouldnt that be cute? LOL)

#12059 - 02/05/07 02:33 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Ohh!!! That's a brilliant idea!!! I didn't even think of a rubber stopper! He will probably continue living with me inside the house. I've grown a little too attached to him to have him not sleeping in my bed.

Tried the baby shoes...they don't stay on real well becuase he doesn't have any toes to help keep them on. I mean..without the toes to help balance the shoes, it makes it really difficult for him. Wound up taking them back to Wallie World.

Actually, he's starting to lose his dripping nose and his head is starting to turn pink and red! It makes me excited! I can't believe he's doing so well. I will try to take more pictures as he gets better.

Is there anything else you guys would suggest to keep him comfortable. Do you think I'll ever be able to reintroduce him into the flock? I am thinning it down so he may be able to have his own little home all to himself and Tinkerbell the cat.

#12060 - 02/05/07 02:34 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Garden Chick Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Minnesota
We had a hen, decades ago, that we found on the road, had fallen off a truck in the winter, her toes eventually fell off to the main joint, much like Frodo. She got huge callus' on the bottom, and laid an egg a day the rest of her life, at least three years.

#12061 - 02/05/07 02:51 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Foehn Online   content
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

I would expect his feet will callus in time, but have you thought of using those finger bandages? The sort you cut double length and then twist at the bottom, (but half way up) before pushing the rest of the length over itself. It's a similar product to what humans use for stump bandages. It would make a tidy little "Sock" to go inside his boots. It's called tubular bandage over here and comes with a plastic applicater to help put it on.

#12062 - 02/09/07 12:13 AM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

Oh my gosh! I haven't been here in a while so just seeing the pics. How sweet! He really does look good. I wondered about the color of his comb but that could just be the way the picture came across. I love the idea of the rubber stopper for boots. And to Joachim, since you asked...there are always several choices of antibiotics. I didn't suggest the Terramycin, she asked about it. It is what I would have tried first because I always have it on hand but if she had named something else I would have given my opinion. I have actually had great luck with Terramycin, but you have to use the higher doses when you are treating an illness. When I have baby chicks I use half strength since they are not ill but it's being used for prevention. These instructions are on my bag. As for length of administration, part of the reason we have disease resistant "bugs" is people using antibiotics until they "feel better" rather than finishing out the entire dose. This allows the bacteria to become resistant. If Tylan is to be used for three days that's sufficient--I won't second guess your practice as I am not familiar with Tylan. Most antibiotics have something more like a 7-14 day recommendation when treating an illness.

#12063 - 02/09/07 04:02 AM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hello again,

Quote:
Most antibiotics have something more like a 7-14 day recommendation when treating an illness
yep, thatīs why I asked;-)

I know we need to use, say Baytril(sp?) longer, so we are really happy with Tylan. Again, I did not intend to question your advise, thanks for clearing this up and best greetings,

Joachim

UPDATE:
For all interested in dosage of Tylan, we phoned our vet and there are 2 ways he suggests:

either 3 days in a row,
or 2+2+2 days meaning 2 days medicine(sp?) + 2 days off/no meds + 2 days meds again.

Hope it helps, didnīt intend to give false information, Joachim

#12064 - 02/16/07 06:25 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Anti-Birdatarian Offline
Bantam

Loc: Canada
That would be so gross to find a foot in the hallway eek I feel so sorry for you and FRODO frown Hope you work it out girl smile and him-her-IT too smile JULIA

#12065 - 03/26/07 10:19 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Welp, I have been going up to the pen daily since Spring Break began and noticed him getting worse. I decided that if he wasn't any better by Monday, I would go ahead and put him down. He made the decision for me and fell asleep by the watering trough.

I noticed that he was getting paler and paler in his face, while his comb and wattles were getting pinker. He just didn't look "right." I went up on Sunday, saw that his face was sagging, like his dad's does. You know, I figured it was genetics, but then I realized that he couldn't see very well. So, I pulled the skin on the back of his head up, and it didn't fall back down to a normal state. So I knew he was dehydrated. Gave him his own water bowl and he drank and drank and drank and went into his doghouse for the night. I decided not to feed him any scratch to see if his crop would decrease in size. Welp, I found him tonight lying by the trough and his crop had gone down in size, so I'm betting his genetics finally got him.

Thanks all for your help, but I guess there's not much point now. I'd still like to know how it came about, but I guess it doesn't matter as much as it used to.

I'm sure I'm going to show my ignorance here, but on most of my birds (by most I mean the ones I could catch) the crop seemed to be on the lefthand side. (You're holding the chicken, but towards your torso and feel for the crop. It tends to fall to the left of the sternum on the chicken.) Frodo's fell to the right side. Only to the right side. There was no middle. Could this have been a problem, or does it not matter which side of the sternum the crop rested near?

Thanks all for your help, but I guess it was all for nothing. At least he had a good few months left where he got to live in the house! Not many of my chickens get to say that!

#12066 - 03/27/07 07:43 AM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just found and read this thread. What a wonderful story with so much heart. I am sure Frodo had as good a life as could be expected in your capable and loving hands. If I ever end up a chicken, I'd love to live with you.

#12067 - 03/28/07 04:48 PM Re: Toes falling off (pics added!)
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

I am so sorry about Frodo. But, as you said, you made his last days/weeks better than any chicken could expect! I'm sure he was happy. Sometimes things just happen and we never really know why. It does make it difficult, we as humans like to have all the answers. But you have to just rest in the knowledge that you did all you possibly could. Most of my chickens crops are on their right, by the way.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2