Topic Options
#12331 - 08/16/07 03:04 PM Red, Puffy, Sore legs
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

Loc: Massachusetts

These are the feet of my young male Sultan rooster. He's had this condition for a long time now, and his lower legs and feet are very red, puffy (inflammed), and bleed when he picks at them, which is disturbingly often. I've tried to look at his feet more closely, but they are such a mess from redness, picked and mutilated feathers, and scabs that I can't tell what's wrong beyond that he has majorly sore feet, which makes him ansty and causes him to tiptoe about. Ever since he started growing in his foot feathers he'd pulled at them incessantly. Does anyone know what is causing this and the inflammation?

I intend to spray his feet with Blu-Kote to prevent more picking, but I still don't know what's at the heart of the problem. None of my other chickens have anything like this, nor has it been passed on in any way to other members of the flock. He is perfectly healthy in every other way.

#12332 - 08/16/07 03:52 PM Re: Red, Puffy, Sore legs
Eric19 Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Michigan
Do you or have you ever let them free range? Maybe he ate something he wasn't suppose to? Or, check closely for mites, ticks, lice, etc. How old is it? It might not be used to being feather-footed.

Eric

#12333 - 08/16/07 04:03 PM Re: Red, Puffy, Sore legs
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

Loc: Massachusetts
He was three years old in June. He runs around in our outside run with the other chickens. The run is all dirt and rocks, but there's grass just outside of it. I've never seen anything that looked alive on his feet, and I've checked as closely as I could, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely, though none of the other birds have a similar issue. He's a very nervous bird and never eats anything other than chicken food, cracked corn, and occasional grass, as he is afraid of everything else. Other members of the flock far stranger things, and none of them have an issue.

I have a feeling he hates his foot feathers for whatever bizarre chicken reason he has. He seems to cause most of his own problems by picking at them.

#12334 - 08/16/07 04:20 PM Re: Red, Puffy, Sore legs
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
I have never known one of my birds to pick at the legs,even if they had the Scaley Leg Mites, but that is what he might be doing--or feather lice that have invaded the feather folicle. I use the antiseptic Campho=Phenique for quick cure and healing of Scaley Leg mites. it is a pain relieving antiseptic (lightly oily, so it sticks pretty well.) Catch him at night--treat those legs, and by all means, do not let it go any longer. If you get a bad infection, you will lose him! Good luck, CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2