Topic Options
#12511 - 07/22/02 05:37 AM Rattiling hen
Anonymous
Unregistered

We are new to the whole chicken thing so please bear with us.
We have a Millie Fluer Bantam, who has been acting fine till this morning. She was rattleing when she breathed and wasn't as animated as usual. frown When I approached she perked up and took off. I have yet to hold that bird. She is supposed to be laying (breeder said she has been) But no eggs here. It has been ungodly hot here and I haven't been expecting any eggs till it cools down some. Can lack of laying mess her up? The others are not making that sound. Our standard roo has been trying to have his way with her. We are in the middle of trying to separate the banty and standards. Any ideas??

#12512 - 07/22/02 08:37 AM Re: Rattiling hen
Anonymous
Unregistered

Congratulations for having some Mille Fleurs! They are my favorite Breed! The 'rattling' could be a sign of sickness like pneumonia, or something. If she is indeed listless, you do have a problem frown As for the laying, if she has new surroundings, it could take some time (a month or so) for her to feel comfortable to lay. As for holding her... Most chickens are shy and don't like to be held; but you can train them by feeding they by hand... pancakes, bread, or something... Good luck and hopefully she will perk up and start layin'!

#12513 - 07/22/02 03:41 PM Re: Rattiling hen
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Chickeeta,

Any sneezing, discharge from nose or eyes? Is she eating normally? Have you cleaned out the coop recently or stirred up a bunch of dust?

I've had birds "rattle" when breathing and things turned out okay. I've had others who got very sick with similar symptoms. Sometimes stirring up dust in the coop is all it takes to make them sick so I'm very careful about that. Also things like damp litter and mold/mildew will cause respiratory problems. Unfortunately, respiratory illness is one thing that chickens are quite vulnerable to and sometimes they don't survive it. If she was mine, I'd pull her out of the flock and keep her at a comfortable temp and monitor her food and water intake. I'd also be giving her vitamins and possibly an antibiotic if it seemed that she was going downhill.

They will stop laying occasionally, due to stress, heat, cold, lack of light in the winter, moulting or a change in their coop or environment. But that doesn't cause them any problems health-wise. However, if she is sick, that could cause her to not lay and then it's just a symptom of her body being stressed.

Keep an eye on her. I'll keep my fingers crossed that she gets over it. Many times they do.

Susie

#12514 - 07/22/02 09:07 PM Re: Rattiling hen
Anonymous
Unregistered

She seemed to be doing better in the afternoon. Little bit of noise, but nothing like in the morning. So I hope she will continue to do well. She is eating and running around better too. Thanks!!! laugh

#12515 - 07/23/02 03:52 AM Re: Rattiling hen
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Chickeeta,

She will likely be just fine then! I battled this with one of my roosters when he was a chick. I really thought he wouldn't make it. But he did, almost a year old now and such a nice, pretty boy!

Glad your hen didn't get too sick with it!

Susie

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2