Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12625 - 06/18/06 10:21 AM D'Uccle with chronic pasting of the vent
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

Loc: Massachusetts
I have a D'Uccle hen that will be a year old this week, and throughout her life she has had a chronic pasting problem. I've cleaned her rear feathers and her vent countless times, but within a week she's a mess again with wet poo and dry clumps. She also seems to be walking upright a little stiffy, like her belly or her behind hurts.

She's always been a complaining bird, and she's very small in size, much smaller than my other D'Uccle hen. I read somewhere that these symptoms could be be caused by a stomach sickness, but she's never gotten over it. I also read it might be caused by worms. I intend to get some de-worming medicine, but I'm not sure if that's even the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do or what else it could be?

#12626 - 06/18/06 10:45 AM Re: D'Uccle with chronic pasting of the vent
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Well, chickens do not have a stomach like we do, a most unlikely diagnosis. It could be a low grade chronic bacterial infection in the intestinal tract(my guess). TYLAN is a treatment (powder added to drinking water) that might be effective in treating it. I use it for pasting of baby chicks (two or three days cures it IF TREATED AT ONCE.) When things become chronic, treatment can take a long time. But TYLAN is not for long term use--so directions would have to be followed. The bird sounds like she did not have a chance to grow up normally--and treatment at this age, may or may not not be successful.

NEVER worm a bird that is feeling poorly, as wormers are a poison that must be used carefully and strictly according to directions of the one you choose. A bird already weakened by any other problem, is vulnerable to the wormer.

So?--a few words of description are little to go on--can only guess from the little that is written. Good luck, CJR

#12627 - 06/18/06 10:58 AM Re: D'Uccle with chronic pasting of the vent
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

Good information. Thanks.

Is this a problem, if it's an infection, that will eventually kill if the treatment is unsuccessful?

#12628 - 06/18/06 12:40 PM Re: D'Uccle with chronic pasting of the vent
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Any chronic infection is a lifeshortening threat, as any weakened immune system, invites other exposures or conditions, to be much worse or fatal. Has she been laying? (soiled eggs)? Her posture is not a good thing. Hope you can treat her successfully. When any symptoms become more pronounced--it is ominous. Good luck, CJR

#12629 - 06/18/06 01:42 PM Re: D'Uccle with chronic pasting of the vent
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

I don't think she's been laying. I'll try to get some antibiotics and treat her right away.

#12630 - 06/19/06 07:47 AM Re: D'Uccle with chronic pasting of the vent
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

I'm still wondering if in fact her problems are caused by stress. Could that be possible? It wouldn't explain the small size, unless she's just a very small bird to begin with, but it could explain other factors.

For one, she's always had very bright eyes and a good amount of energy when she's away from the other chickens. The thing is, she's only ever happy when she's with humans, partially because she's an amazingly needy little bird, and also because she's low on the pecking order due to her size. She also seems to get constant attention from a certain rooster and never gets to go into the nestboxes because the bigger hens chase her out. Do eggs get reabsorbed if the hen never has a chance to sit and lay them? Also, her problems seemed to start afresh when we moved her from our garage where they were all chicks to their new coop, which I know stressed her in particular.

I've read that hens can get stressed easily and as a consequence get messy from diarrhea, and with her temperment it seems like she would get stressed even easier. The funny walk also started when the rooster started bugging her. Do you think it's possible that simply moving her away from the others might clear it up? I've spent so much time looking things up everywhere I can, but I'm never sure which diagnosis is most plausible.

#12631 - 06/19/06 09:08 AM Re: D'Uccle with chronic pasting of the vent
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Friendly, that is, extra friendly birds, when others in the flock are not, often means that they do not feel well. She may feel stresseed, indeed, because she is "different", does not feel well, and from your description of her relationship with the flock, indicates that indeed, she is Low on the Peck order. But chickens accept their position in the flock. It does not cause chronic diarrhea--infection do. The fact that she is not laying could indicate that her reproductive system is also affected and so, it can continue to weaken her immune system to any other disease or infection that otherwise, chickens handle very well. Long term infections are very difficult to cure.

Just any antibiotic is not indicated, but one that is "formulated" for enteritis. Most Vets do not have poultry information, if you can find one that does Cage birds and Exotics as a specialty--they can help prescribe the best antibiotic. She would have to be separated for treatment, as you would not be treating any other birds. And it could be for a long time and requiring feeding changes, as antibiotics interfere with normal assimilation of nutrients.

The rooster indeed may be harming your little hen by over breeding and his weight can be harmful. She is not absorbing eggs, just is not able to produce eggs. If she was "making" eggs, they would be laid in the floor of the coop, out in the pasture, or on the roost at night, if she was not permitted in the nest boxes. Actually, her funny walk could possibly indicate an egg that cannot be laid (egg bound) or slipped internally instead of being laid normally. Both are serious.
Why don't you separate her from the flock ? Since she responds to people, she certainly would be happier. I would not think it would cure her ills, but if it helped, it would be well worth the change. Roosting at night might be a problem for a while, but chickens routine quite easily and changes can be made without upset. Hope you can ease this little ones problems--they become such attachments to our attentions--and we can suffer with them, when they are not well. Good luck, CJR

#12632 - 06/19/06 09:44 AM Re: D'Uccle with chronic pasting of the vent
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

I currently have Terramycin. Do you think that would be an acceptable treatment?

#12633 - 06/19/06 10:47 AM Re: D'Uccle with chronic pasting of the vent
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

No, Terramycin has very limited value. While widely used by many because they just want to try "something", it is not a good choice, and its wide use, is causing infections to have resistance to it--and other antibiotics. It will take a specific antibiotic such as TYLAN--designed for the purpose--non specific enteritis in chickens. Directions must be followed carefully with any medication. CJR

PS, I am not prescribing, just sharing experience and research.

#12634 - 06/19/06 10:56 AM Re: D'Uccle with chronic pasting of the vent
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

Well she's seperated. I was worried for a few days that she was unable to lay eggs, but she's proved me wrong on that count by laying an egg about two minutes ago. I'm going to see how she does just having some rest, and see about getting some better medication.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2