Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12798 - 08/10/02 12:22 PM funny bumps on feet
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello! I haven't been here since you changed the format, and I really like it. I had to change my name though, I used to be Robint.

I gave my six hens nice lukewarm baths in my wheel barrow today. They seemed to love the water. But I noticed on my two barred rocks feet, (neither my two americanas or my mixed breeds though) they have a black spot on the bottom of their "palms" and it is swollen, like a cyst or something. No raw areas or blood, or limping, but the lump feels warmish. What on earth is this, how do I treat it, and what might be causing it?

Thanks in advance for the help.

#12799 - 08/10/02 01:33 PM Re: funny bumps on feet
Anonymous
Unregistered

It could be a condition known as "Bumblefoot". I've never experienced it, but from what I understand it sounds like what you describe. I believe you have to lance the foot, drain out the infection, apply hydrogen peroxide followed with neosporin, then bandage the foot for a few days. I would do some research on bumblefoot to see if it matches the symptoms, perhaps someone else can offer more exact advice than mine? Good luck.

#12800 - 08/10/02 04:53 PM Re: funny bumps on feet
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, I think it might be bumblefoot too...knowing that makes it easier to find an answer as to treatment.

#12801 - 08/10/02 06:37 PM Re: funny bumps on feet
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
It does sound like bumblefoot but I'm not sure I'd do anything if they aren't limping or there is no swelling in the pad of the foot. Just my thoughts on it but they can definitely get foot injuries without getting bumblefoot, which as I understand it is a staph infection.

Anybody else know for sure? I've only treated the ones who limp and have swelling.

Susie

#12802 - 08/10/02 07:51 PM Re: funny bumps on feet
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just sat down to seek information on THE COOP about my chickens swollen feet and there it was. I have two hens with swollen feet (Bumblefoot?). Is it contagious and how do they get it? Lancing the foot sounds serious. I culled the first one I found so treatment is too late for her, but would like to saave the last one but not if it is contagious.

#12803 - 08/10/02 10:27 PM Re: funny bumps on feet
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dont worry, bumble foot is non-contagious. They get it when bacteria gets in any small wound on the foot. The idea is to lance it, sqeeze out the infection, and clean it well with with an anti-germ topical ointment such as neosporin. Like I said before, I've never experienced it so I'm only going on what I've heard. Susie, is this how you treated yours?

#12804 - 08/11/02 06:13 AM Re: funny bumps on feet
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Bumblefoot is just a staph infection that they get after getting a small wound on the bottom of their foot. We would probably get blood poisoning but I guess a chicken's body is set up to contain this within their foot. You basically have 4 choices (besides culling). 1. Let a vet deal with it -- not a possibility for me. 2. This is where the archives would come in handy because there have been good descriptions and experience posted here. You can treat it yourself if you're brave enough. Basically, you need to clean the foot REALLY well, remove the scab on the bottom of the foot and then lance it with a clean knife. Squeeze out all you can, clean the wound and pack it with antibiotic cream. You may even need to bandage the foot. Then you keep the bird separated and on clean, dry, deep litter until the wound heals -- probably a week or so. I have never attempted this. 3. What I've done now successfully with 2 birds and am about to try with another (bumblefoot plagues me!) is to clean the foot really well, pick off that scab which exposes sort of a hole in the bottom of the foot and then I drip full strength tea tree oil into that. I repeat this 2 or 3 days later. So far I completely cured 2 this way and I posted about this on the coop a while back and stirred up a bit of controversy. I didn't find this "remedy" from anyone else but just attempted it, knowing what I know about tea tree oil (available at most pharmacies) and sure enough, it worked. I didn't have to separate my bird because I didn't leave a bad wound doing it this way. It took about a week after the 2nd treatment for the swelling to completely go away and the bird to stop limping. 4. Your final choice is to not treat it and the decision about that will have to come from you deciding how bad it is. We let it go in a cochin rooster once and he eventually got around just fine and the swelling mostly went down but it appeared that he developed some permanent scarring inside his foot and he always walked with just a slight limp that was only noticeable when he moved fast.

Susie

#12805 - 08/11/02 07:16 AM Re: funny bumps on feet
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
I've delt with bumblefoot too. Susie talk about the tea tree oil. I didn't know about that at the time or I might have tried it. If its small they might get get over it on thier own with cleaning of the wound. One of mine had a limp and a large lump on her foot. I soaked thier feet in epsom salts for 30 minutes each day for five days. Aplied Neosporin and bandage with gauze and tape. Gave Penicillin G injections for five days. Then soaked and bandaged every 2-3 days for another two weeks. This was an agessive means of treatment. It worked well but may not have been totally needed. The large sore on the one hen did leave some scare tissue. I would try a less aggressive treatment first, but if it didnt work the methed I used was endorsed by my Aviary Vet. If you get to that piont I can give you more info on injection. Good Luck!!

Bill

#12806 - 08/11/02 07:24 AM Re: funny bumps on feet
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Bill, interesting about soaking the foot. Sounds like a lot of effort you went through but the results are good!

I think in the case of the original poster in this thread, with no limping or major swelling, I might just remove as much as the scab as I could and then treat with antibiotic cream and see if that's enough to do the trick. And I would do it at night, after the bird roosts. That's when I do my tea tree oil treatment because I figure they have at least several hours of not walking around or scratching and maybe the meds will stay in place long enough to do some good.

Also, a preventive measure that we should all do as often as possible is to pick up the birds and check their feet. A small cut can probably be treated and this bumblefoot mess avoided. And sometimes I will see a small rock caught in the creases of their feet so I get that out as I think it could eventually cause a problem too. Rocky soil is definitely my problem. I seem to deal with this issue all the time.(sigh) That, and the fact that it seems previous residents in many rural areas must have not had trash pick-up. My birds seem to uncover new treasures everyday as they scratch around -- coffee cup remnants, bottle tops, old jars, lots of broken glass...it's a battle to keep an eye out and pick it all up!

Susie

#12807 - 08/11/02 07:51 AM Re: funny bumps on feet
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the posts. I did grab them up and rinsed the foot with peroxide, pick off the scab, squeeze out what I could get (which didin't seem like much) poured peroxide in again, and then packed with neosporin, then I put on a gauze and tape. I have heard wonderful things about tea tree oil. I wonder if I alternated between the tea tree and the neosporin...I am planning on changing the bandage nightly as these birds are pets to me and I don't want them to get sick! I read somewhere that they can eventually die from bumble foot!!! apparently that has not been everyone's experience here. I will let you all know how we are coming along.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2