Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#12808 - 08/11/02 04:42 PM Re: funny bumps on feet
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Chickenrobin
Yes they can die from it if untreated but not always. Sounds like you caught it early though. I wouldnt worry too much. Mine too are pets and I understand you want to do your best for them and I'm sure you will see them through it. It took at least five days before I could see results so be patiant. As I said , my one hen had a large sore before I noticed her limping and it was the first real problem we had, thats why I chose the treatment I did. I do foot inspections whenever I pick one up now! A little late but use good sanitary practices when dealing with Staph. You can get a skin form of it.

Susie
Yes it was alot of effort. When we couldnt find a Vet. to help us we sort of went into panic mode eek Giving injections was scary! One seamed to enjoy the foot bath. She was calm as could be for 30 min. The other is one of the DONT TOUCH ME chickens and tried to escape for 30 min. Niether one seamed to mind the bandages on thier feet. Looked like little white booties. I remember your your post awhile back about the tea tree oil and thought how much easier that would have been. In the future (hopefuly there wont be a next time)I will try a less aggessive treatment fist.

Bill

#12809 - 08/12/02 09:56 AM Re: funny bumps on feet
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks so much for the info and encouragement!

#12810 - 08/13/02 04:17 PM Re: funny bumps on feet
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Since bumble foot is often caused by splinters I wanted to mention this. I've notice in my area at least. Stores are selling "wood shavings" insted of "pine shavings". One store didnt even change the sign. It read Pine Shavings and after I opened the bag and dumped it out I noticed it was very course and splintery confused The word pine was in the company logo but the ingredeance was simply wood shavings mad I dont buy there any more. My point is look close it might save some greif latter. Have a good day!

Bill

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2