Topic Options
#13064 - 05/24/07 05:16 AM Hen with coccidiosis and tumour
Anonymous
Unregistered

One of our two chickens passed away unexpectedly on Tuesday and when we took her and our baby (Jenna) to the vet, Cassie was nearly dead and the vet said that Jenna (we've had her since she was an egg at the daycare centre) had the same thing (coccidiosis? something beginning with C) and then also has a tumour somewhere internally - they felt it and thought she might be egg-bound but no, it's a tumour.

They basically told us to take her home, keep her warm, and pray. They gave her a dose of ivermectin for worms and informed me that they could hospitalise her, but it would be very expensive and basically useless.

She is being kept in a cat carrier with a low-wattage light one her (40w) and a towel draped over the carrier. I've let her out into the garden today for a while so she has some time outside because it's not nice for her to be cooped up for so long - she rummaged around in the garden but hid under her favourite bush for most of the time, then came back into the house because the door was left open and she doesn't realise that she's not human. She's been inside for two days. She is drinking and feeding well, but not eating as much as usual. I've been giving her a mixture of vitamin/mineral powder, egg & biscuit and farex. She's also had some grain bread and some lettuce. I've given her a bowl of cooked rice tonight which she scoffed down. She's drinking at least 2-3 glasses of water a day.

Her poop is very green and watery.

I'm wondering what else I can do for her?
I'm open to any suggestions at the moment. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it.
We are very attached to her, and she is my 6 year old autistic daughter's best friend. We need to do something to make her more comfortable and hopefully help her pull though.

Thanks
Sarah

#13065 - 05/24/07 06:12 AM Re: Hen with coccidiosis and tumour
Oakie Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Oklahoma
Coccidious is a very tough thing to get rid of. You should do a search on it and there will be many threads about it. It can be treated if caught early enough. You can use something called Sulmet to treat her. Cocci is in the poop and that is how it is passed to other chickens. Once you have it in a pen it is probably a good idea to start over somewhere else that is dry.

#13066 - 05/24/07 08:42 AM Re: Hen with coccidiosis and tumour
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
She would not be eating if she is suffering from Coccidiosis and no need to treat for it, without more symptoms, (hunchy, eyes closed, usually blood in poop, and not eating) and usually survival by that time depends upon quick treatment and then hope for recovery. Coccidiosis is everywhere, but not usually a threat, especially if birds are not kept in a wet situation.

Tumors, however, can indicate Marek's Disease, no pain, eat and drink until the tumor (usually in an organ) takes over, and the bird quietly dies. There is no treatment or cure. Only a blood test for Marek's Disease would be a sure diagnosis.

You are in a sad and difficult situation with your daughter's relationship with the hen. It is just a matter of time when some kind of replacement will have to occur--and it may be hard to find a real pet hen, but I would start search for one--or another pet that might substitute. I am sorry and hope that this will play out well--meantime does the little hen have some real Chicken-food crumbles as a basic diet?

Her poop will be more normal, if she is not eating all kinds of things that are not really chicken food, but I realize you want to keep her eating. Good luck and hope--CJR

#13067 - 05/24/07 11:57 AM Re: Hen with coccidiosis and tumour
Rack Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Virginia
Look for DE under search engine (Not sure of spelling Diatonaous Earth)

or send me a private message/this is a holistic fix.

#13068 - 05/24/07 02:08 PM Re: Hen with coccidiosis and tumour
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is definitely no blood in the poop.

I think I might head out to the produce store tomorrow and have a chat with the guy out there and see what he has to say. A few days ago she was sort of sitting hunched over and tipping to the side with her eyes closed and looking very weak. I fed her warm water (mixed with a tiny bit of sugar - the vet told me to do that - I only did it twice though, right after I got her home), every 1/2 hour to an hour for the first 24 hours. She has picked up a bit and will drink out of her glass and will eat from her bowl. She doesn't move around much...not even when she was let outside.

My daughter does have a little rat that she is also very attached to (yes, the three of them make for a very amusing sight sometimes), unfortunately they're all very fond of each other...it's like watching The Three Stooges of the animal kingdom really.

Sarah
Ps: Vet told me that treatment for Coccidia was incredibly expensive...is the Sulmet expensive?

#13069 - 05/24/07 02:21 PM Re: Hen with coccidiosis and tumour
Rack Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Virginia
I gave you the wrong thing its DE for worms.
Arseconium Album (Check Spelling) for Cocc.
I'll follow up in an email.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box