Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#13123 - 08/13/02 05:54 AM Did I goof? Feed question~
Anonymous
Unregistered

The girls are giving me about two to three eggs a day now. They JUST started about 3 weeks ago. I have 4 standards and 2 bantams. The bantams are not laying at this time~one sick, one young.

I switched to laying crumble and they like it fine. But I took the equal parts of scratch and crumble ;mixed it in the BIG barrel. Like 50 lbs of both. Now I'm reading that it will lower their protien intake and so on. confused Did I seriously goof up???? frown

#13124 - 08/13/02 06:24 AM Re: Did I goof? Feed question~
Anonymous
Unregistered

Before I switched to layer crumbles I was using starter/grower and whole oats 50/50 to slow their growth so they didn't lay too soon and develop laying problems like prolapse and egg binding.

The plan was to back off the oats and move to straight layer by the time they came into lay. I wish I had done it sooner as they began to pick each other and I am still dealing with it 3 weeks after the first pullet started laying.

Maybe you want to mix in another bag of layer crumbles to make your ratio 25% "candy" (scratch) to 75% layer?

I just throw two handfuls of scratch out to my 19 girls about dusk while they can still see with some light but haven't gone to roost yet. It's a way to get them back inside and the other plus is that they stir up the litter for me by scratching around for their nightly candy. It's kind of a training aide to get them to come to you when you call to them by throwing out the scratch.

#13125 - 08/13/02 06:31 AM Re: Did I goof? Feed question~
Anonymous
Unregistered

The reason it does so is because the scratch is like candy to them & as with children they will pick the corn & other scratch out first which does not have the needed amount of protien in it. Most people give it to them only as a treat (if ever). The reason they seemed to like it(laying crumbles) at first is because it was something new & they like variety.Mine enjoy picking a watermelon down to the green better then any treat but if thats all they get for awhile they grow tired of it also & will move on to laying pellets or most anything if given the chance. Not really much you can do about it now. I would let them finish it all but would not do it again. You will probably find most of the crumbles left till last but if it stays dry & clean they will eat it also.

#13126 - 08/13/02 06:46 AM Re: Did I goof? Feed question~
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had the same feed routine that Mtech had, 50/50 starter and oats (though I used rolled oats) and I fed this up untill they started laying.. could be why it took so long? lol.. I probably had about 40 pounds of the mix left when I got some layer crumbles...
I don't think you 'seriously' goofed up, as I've learned here that nothing's written in stone.. but as Mtech says, you do have a lot of candy in the mix.. if you have another barrel, you could split the mix and store some in a cool area (basement?) and add more layer to the other...
or you could just leave it as it is... I don't think it'll kill 'em...

#13127 - 08/13/02 08:34 AM Re: Did I goof? Feed question~
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
I don't know how much protein bread has, but my mom gives it to my chickens any chance she gets. So my birds' protein ratio is a bit off, however they still lay fine. I think they find the necessary protein from bugs and all that.

In your case, Chickeeta, I would buy some high protein turkey grower or game bird grower and mix it in. These usually run around 28% or so. You can also buy a bag of baked crushed soy and add that too. Soy is about 50% protein. Just use punnet square to get you ratios back in check, but if you don't, you birds will not be "devastated".

#13128 - 08/13/02 08:41 AM Re: Did I goof? Feed question~
Anonymous
Unregistered

Love your signature there, Aram..!

#13129 - 08/13/02 12:44 PM Re: Did I goof? Feed question~
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Belgium
Me too... love the signature

#13130 - 08/13/02 01:22 PM Re: Did I goof? Feed question~
Nancy Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Michigan
Speaking of signatures Anny...I love yours...I was thinking of using one that says...I have lots of room but hubby wont let me get more chickens...

ok that was lame but I thought it was cute

#13131 - 08/13/02 01:45 PM Re: Did I goof? Feed question~
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Belgium
Nancy, how about : I want lots but Hubby says NO! ?
No Hubby to temper me, just lack of space!

#13132 - 08/13/02 01:46 PM Re: Did I goof? Feed question~
Anonymous
Unregistered

I feel your pain, Nancy, although my husband's rationale has quite a bit to do with the municipal code! (we're in a suburb of Seattle, and I think we're only allowed 12 chickens for our lot size...and guess how many we have...!) laugh

#13133 - 08/13/02 02:06 PM Re: Did I goof? Feed question~
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
SusanLW, Did you see the article on Urban Poultry keeping in the Seattle Times (last January)? I put it on my website because of the neat coops that city dwellers have designed for their "in town" birds. There are some tours or seminars listed and apparently held from time to time, for the "2+ hen" owners in Seattle and suburbs: you can see it on my website: www.dutchbantams.com
CJR

#13134 - 08/13/02 02:19 PM Re: Did I goof? Feed question~
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, CJR, I do think my husband saw that and saved it, but for some reason I don't think I got a chance to look at it. That's really a nice article, but it puts our little amateur hen house to shame. On the plus side, we'll be buying some acreage soon, so we looked at this as our first attempt. We're much more educated now, and eager to expand our flock. Maybe some day we'll be part of the chicken tour! Funny that so many in Seattle have chickens, I don't know any. Everyone thinks I'm a little bit 'out there'! laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2