Topic Options
#13273 - 05/19/05 06:56 AM crooked toes
Anonymous
Unregistered

we just brought home 6 chicks that are believed to have been hatched about a week ago, in a school setting where a relative of a relative teaches. there were 9 hatched- we brought home the ones that survived. one has crooked toes on both feet. we have only raised chicks this age only recently that were all very healthy. this is a new issue. will it be okay, or will the others pick on it? we have watched them closely, and it doesn't seem as if there are picking problems,as of yet. will the feet be alright as it gets older? we don't know what breed they are, but i believe they are bantams- they are quite a bit smaller than the others (rocks, white and barred) that we have. i didn't know if i should splint them, like i have read on other posts, or just leave them? it is all toes on both feet. the chick seems to get around just fine, eating and drinking well- any advice?

#13274 - 05/19/05 09:04 AM Re: crooked toes
Tucson Chickens Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Arizona
Generally if the chick can walk - it will be fine. RIGHT after they hatch you can "splint" their toes to straighten them out, however, by now the bones are hardened and it is too late. I have a La Fleche hen who I tried to splint as a chick, however, it did not take. Her toes on one foot curl to the outside. She gets around fine though. The foot has actually "flattened out" so she walks better. I do clip the nails occassionally because they do not wear down naturally. Good luck!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2