Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#13363 - 08/10/02 05:40 PM neck problem?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I went out and fed my chickens this morning, they are 9 weeks old today, and saw one walking around with his neck bent funny, to the right, and he just kept it like that! I caught him, (no problem with running!), and felt under the feathers, no lump, bump or abrasion that I could feel, no blood, but he is still like that tonight. It is almost like a crick, he keeps it to the side, and down somewhat, but eats fine and can get around. I am just wondering what this is, if anyone knows, and will it go away? They still have 4 weeks to go, and I would not like to lose another one!! Thanks for the info!

#13364 - 08/10/02 06:45 PM Re: neck problem?
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
I'm concerned about either botulism or Marek's. Were your birds vaccinated for Mareks?

I haven't had personal experience with either but there are many posters here who have. I just can't think of anything else off the top of my head that would involve the neck like that. Does it seem he can move it much?

Susie

#13365 - 08/10/02 06:56 PM Re: neck problem?
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
I f it is only one, it could be wry neck from an injury. If that is the case, it may get better, or, it may not.

#13366 - 08/10/02 06:56 PM Re: neck problem?
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
I f it is only one, it could be wry neck from an injury. If that is the case, it may get better, or, it may not.

#13367 - 08/13/02 07:51 AM Re: neck problem?
Anonymous
Unregistered

That chicken was the only one, and he seems to be getting better. He is eating and running around fine. I am in a foul mood today, no pun intended, believe me, my dog killed 9 of my meat chickens yesterday, while we were eating supper. I don't know what to do. My husband wants to get rid of her, but she did not maul them in any way, I think she thought she was playing? I found them just laying around the yard, no feathers missing, no blood, aarrgghhhh!!!!! I am feeling very frustrated at this moment, have any of you had a dog that just went off, suddenly, she hadn't acted like she would kill them before, but I keep telling myself she is just a dog, but..... I did not think I was attached to these meat birds, kept telling myself, we are going to eat them, but it took this to make me realize that I liked them, just as they are, and I don't know what to do. Help!!!

#13368 - 08/13/02 08:20 AM Re: neck problem?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kychick, if there wasn't any blood, or feathers, how do you know it was the dog?
my sisters dog got a couple of her chickens and there were not only feathers everywhere but the chickens had wounds...
just curious..

#13369 - 08/14/02 05:28 AM Re: neck problem?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The chickens had slobber on them, and she (the dog), acted very guilty. Wouldn't come over to us, then lay down belly up. I have calmed down, and we decided to get a muzzle and only let the chickens out when the dog has it on. I have learned a lesson. Animals are not people, and I can't expect them to act like it!

#13370 - 08/14/02 06:12 AM Re: neck problem?
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
kychick,

I'm sorry you experienced that! Even if you are planning on butchering chickens, there is some peace that comes with doing it quickly and cleanly as opposed to the way dogs handle it. I have experienced that too and questioned myself for feeling so upset about meat birds!

I've had two chicken killing dogs and all I can tell you is that I don't believe you can change that after they've gotten away with it once. I think your muzzle idea is a good one. My current problem dog is a great dane and I honestly believe he thinks he is just playing with the chicken and oooops....it's dead?? Had a true "killer" once, a doberman, and she would just slaughter as many as she could. :rolleyes:

Hang in there!
Susie

#13371 - 08/14/02 08:07 AM Re: neck problem?
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
Susie, unfortunately, is correct regarding the trainability of dogs that have sated their blood-lusts on fowl. There are ways of dealing with the issue, one of which is simply to remove it from the premises via one method or another. The muzzle is not a bad idea and may work. Keeping them penned (fowl and/or dogs) is another way. Making the consequences so disagreeable that they won't even attempt it is another (dead chickens around the neck, chickens dusted with a bitter substance, severe discipline, etc.). Usually, if they know that you are the pack leader and you will not tolerate the behaviour this stance will work but it needs to be enforced. I apologize to the dog lovers on this board but I (at times)require my dogs to roll over in submissive behaviour when we meet. Not roll over and play dead: submit. I pat them on the tummy and scratch behind the ears and they are fine. They don't need to do it the rest of the day and not even every day. They just need to acknowledge that I am the leader of the pack. They get excited at butchering but when I or any other member of the family tell them to sit, they sit (unlike our cats!). They will periodically come up to me whether in the garden or doing chores or sitting on the deck and I scratch them on the head, give them a few words of encouragement and they go back to whatever it was they were doing before. They aren't pets. To me they are valued members of the (mostly) peaceable kingdom and they do a great job and they are missed when they pass away (hopefully like Daisy - she was getting old and stiff at 16 years but, still, she seemed to be getting along all right. Then one evening she seemed to be very loving like we couldn't pat her enough. I put some fresh straw in her "hiding place" and scratched her under the jaws and sat down beside her. She laid her head on my knees, gave a little cough and was gone. I miss her). I like having dogs (we have two) on the place and don't really mind it if they get a little muddy or I need to take burs out of their coats or do some minor surgery or stand upwind of them when they have tangled with a skunk. They do a great job of predator and varmint control. But they aren't people. They are dogs and they behave like dogs. However, dogs are very smart and can be trained to accomplish many tasks but they must be trained.

#13372 - 08/14/02 10:13 AM Re: neck problem?
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Arizona
Dogs that kill cats and chickens don't belong on farms...you have to either kill it or place it with someone who has neither and TELL THEM THE DOG IS A KILLER so they don't have the same problem down the road. Once they start killing there is no cure..over the last 40 years, I have tried them all and none work!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2