Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#13373 - 08/14/02 12:51 PM Re: neck problem?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You actually can break a dog from molesting chickens. I'm alot of things...a poultry keeper, and also a dog trainer. I train bird dogs, and scent hounds (Blue Ticks are my personal favorite). I currently have a lab as a flushing dog. He'll jump a quail or a pheasant, and sometimes grab it in mid air...I wont even need to fire a shot. That same dog wont touch a chicken. He'll stare and wine but he knows what will happen if he grabs one in his mouth. I am a big fan of the electronic collar, and exclusively use Dogtra products. The trick is simple. Through electric stimulation, running or grabbing a chicken = negative response. This may sound mean, but get an old pullet or something and hobble its legs so it cant run fast. Now let the dog go and see what it does, if he or she goes for the bird, let the dog grab it and then make it do back flips when you press and hold the "constant" button on the transmitter. Dont say a word, just use the collar. It's important that the dog thinks the negative stimuli comes from the chicken, and not from you. Immediately release the transmitter button when the dog releases the bird, soon he'll be thinking "oh, I've got it! When I chase or grab a chicken, it causes pain...we'll I'm not doing that again!" Now keep in mind, this requires you to first collar condition your dog prior to this level of training, it also sounds mean because you are causing your dog to feel pain, and most likely that first training bird is not going to live through it. I love my dogs like they were my children, but sometimes training involves harshness to get peace latter down the line. Also, this sort of training works for me, it may not work for others...and thats ok. If anyone wants to try this type of behavior mod, purchase a quality collar and training video tape, start slow, and move on from there.

#13374 - 08/14/02 12:57 PM Re: neck problem?
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
NHReds, if I didn't already have a way I like, this sounds like a good way to go! The only problem might be if you already have a dog that's a killer and not collar-trained. Have you used it in just such a situation?

#13375 - 08/14/02 05:18 PM Re: neck problem?
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
We have used training collars on our hounds with great results. (Tri-Tronics) They have many applications. The only dog with no success was my terriers. They are small and we put the collars around their bodies instead of the neck. I have trained them to koll game and they wont make a distinction. I took a deer runner and broke it off deer which it been running for several years. Actually, it will still run a deer at times.

#13376 - 08/14/02 05:20 PM Re: neck problem?
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
I know, as tempting as it may appear, dont use these on your kids, a man (brute) did jail time for this.!!

#13377 - 08/14/02 07:18 PM Re: neck problem?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all the ideas, and input. I really don't want to get rid of this dog, and we are going to work hard at finding a solution to this problem. Today, for example, I tied her on the back deck for an hour while the chickens had their morning run. That seemed to work well, but I am going to have to wait until we get to Paducah to get the muzzle. She is really subdued today, didn't even run out to the van when I got home from work! Oh, this is funny! This morning my chickens got scared by a mockingbird sounding like a hawk! They all ran into their house, and the geese started honking, I was looking all over in the sky, I could hear it, but not see it! Then I realized the sound was coming from the top of a big tree in the valley behind the house, and there sat a mockingbird!! Then it flew to the wire above the pen, and looked smug. The chickens just came back out and started eating again. It was as if they were hoping I didn't notice! Uh-oh, I am people-izing them!! I just can't help it, and I love this board, no one in my household is as into chickens as I, and I can talk here and not be looked at strange!!
Annabelle

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2