Topic Options
#13636 - 05/30/07 06:54 PM skinny hens, green poop
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

I have two RIR hens displaying the following symptoms. They have green runny poops, they are very thin, and pale in the comb and around the eyes.

One of the hens had been acting strangely a few days prior. She had a sleepy look to her, closing eyes, etc. When I caught her, she was thin, but had a full crop so I thought worms maybe. I took a gamble and treated her hoping it wouldn't kill her. She was less sleepy, but then the green poops started.

Shortly after, the other hen began having green poops and was found to be thin. I am feeding both chick starter mixed with layer mash to try and get their weight back up. They are eating like horses, but I can't tell any weight difference or change in condition.

I am thinking of starting antibiotics, but I don't know if they would do any good, because I don't know what they have. They are quarantined, and seem to be in no pain or suffering as of now. They are alert, cluck when you come to the cage, and walk around when I let them out for a few minutes. Does anybody know what they might have and if any treatment is possible? Thanks for your time.

#13637 - 05/31/07 09:54 AM Re: skinny hens, green poop
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Are the crops still hard? Green poop is generally a sign that no food is getting into the system and so the body is secreting bile into the poop.

If the crops are firm, take the feed away. I usually do the test at night. Then, the next morning, feel the crops again. If the crops are still hard and have not lost much mass during the night, they probably have impacted crops. How long have you had them?

#13638 - 05/31/07 07:56 PM Re: skinny hens, green poop
Anonymous
Unregistered

Their crops are fairly soft right now (abot 11pm), and they were fed and ate well around 3pm today. At least one of them had a foul smelling yellowish-brown poop today as well. Could this be another symptom or a sign that things may be getting better?

I have had them a little over a year, they were around a year old when I got them.

Thanks for the help

#13639 - 06/01/07 10:13 AM Re: skinny hens, green poop
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Well, if the poop is changing from the green poop then things should be changing for the better. One question...what color was the green poop? Was it dark green, as in the color of grass, or was it a lighter green bordering on the color of "lime" green. The brown poop is a good sign. It means that some of the food is getting through their systems. Are they laying right now?

If not, I would just feed chick starter. It has more protein and nutrients that may help to gain their systems back. If they are laying, I would take out the chick starter. Mixing the two could cause some diarrhea and make more problems. As they come into condition for laying again (if they're not laying right now) then you could start mixing the chick starter with more and more laying mash. Eventually giving them only laying mash. Their systems need more than the laying mash will give them in nutrients, but if they are laying, they need the calcium and "maintenance" formula in the layer feed.

Good luck and hopefully they will keep getting better!

#13640 - 06/01/07 04:29 PM Re: skinny hens, green poop
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks,

It was a brighter green kind of like lime green.

Today the seem to have more color in their combs and around their eyes. I am beginning to wonder now if they simply weren't getting enough to eat, and the time I felt a full crop was when they had managed to get enough food from the other hens who tend to be quite aggressive at times. How long will it take before I notice them starting to fill back out? I think their necks feel thicker already, but that may be my imagination.

Thanks for all the help.

#13641 - 06/04/07 09:45 AM Re: skinny hens, green poop
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

It may take about a month before you start feeling any difference. I mostly notice a difference when I lift the birds and feel by their keel bone (breast area). If this is getting larger, then the feed is working. You shouldn't be able to feel the sternum of a nice healthy bird. The sternum is the thing that the keel is connected to. If you can feel that easily, they are too thin.

Did they randomly lose this weight over the last year or was it a sudden loss in weight? Forgot to ask that question a bit ago.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2