Topic Options
#13748 - 04/16/09 01:42 PM Dumpy Sebright Rooster, Infected Spur?
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

Loc: Massachusetts
I have a Sebright rooster that is looking ruffled and messy, is acting less energetic than usual, and whose comb and wattles are significantly paler than usual. This little guy is typically very fiesty and very high energy, but now he just sits around. I could even pick him up briefly without him attacking me. He's been this way for most of two weeks. He seems to be eating and drinking like normal.

I did some research and read that a rooster's wattles and comb can turn pale during moulting, but so far it doesn't look like he's moulting. The only odd thing I can notice, beyond his changed appearence and behavior, is that one of his spurs is red inside and he keeps picking at his foot. Could it be an infection, or is it just a new spur growing in? I've never had a rooster's spur turn red like this.

#13749 - 04/16/09 02:49 PM Re: Dumpy Sebright Rooster, Infected Spur?
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
It might be that he injured the spur and it bled inside the horn layer. If you have ever hit your thumb with a hammer while holding a nail you were driving, you will know how that feels. It might have gotten infected too, sometimes that happens. Is his foot or leg swollen?

#13750 - 04/16/09 02:57 PM Re: Dumpy Sebright Rooster, Infected Spur?
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

It looks like it might be a little swollen, yes.

#13751 - 04/16/09 02:59 PM Re: Dumpy Sebright Rooster, Infected Spur?
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

I have Terramycin... would that work on an infection of that nature?

#13752 - 04/19/09 03:47 PM Re: Dumpy Sebright Rooster, Infected Spur?
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Don't know, ask the board. I usually just keep a bird with mild infection well fed and wait. 4 or 5 days and they usually beat whatever it is. Swelling could be from the original injury too, with out infection. How is he doing now, the 19th?
If there is no swelling going up his leg, and the original swelling is not worse, he has beaten it, or it wasn't infected in the first place. Try keeping an eye on him, but let us all know if there is any change.
Jocelyn

#13753 - 04/19/09 07:12 PM Re: Dumpy Sebright Rooster, Infected Spur?
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

You could also try standing him in a bucket of warm, slightly salty water to help draw out the infection. But if he's as dumpy as you say, he's probably feeling pretty miserable. It must hurt.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2