Topic Options
#14029 - 06/01/07 08:53 PM tumor on breast
Anonymous
Unregistered

my new bantam has a growth on her right breast between neck and wing. about the size of a golf ball. it is not conected to the skin. a neighbors ex husband was visiting her(the neighbor) and he thought it could be a feather cycst (although he is not a bird doctor).
any ideas out there. she was hatched in late febuary. it feels hard to me but he said it felt a little gooshy and feels like there are feathers inside- i would agree. it feels bumpy under the tumer.

thanks for reading smile

#14030 - 06/01/07 11:52 PM Re: tumor on breast
Sigi Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Holland
Isn't it her crop?

#14031 - 06/02/07 12:12 AM Re: tumor on breast
Anonymous
Unregistered

crop- i will find that out after a bit of anatomy research.........
but it is def. in her right side of the midline. (see i am also in medical field)

#14032 - 06/02/07 12:29 AM Re: tumor on breast
Anonymous
Unregistered

i found this- "crop problems"
Crop Problems
From The Poultry Keeper wiki
The crop and crop problems:

The crop is a pouch at the bottom of the chickens neck. Its part of the digestive system and is used for temporary food storage. In the wild it lets a bird snatch what food it can, fly away at the approach of danger, and digest its meal later at its leisure. So the crop will change in size depending on how much food it has in it.

To check if your chicken has a crop problem, feel your chickenís crop 1st thing in the morning before she has had anything to eat. Normally their crops should be empty then, with all the food having passed through into the rest of their digestive system overnight. If you can feel a lump then something is not right.

Blocked or impacted crop:

If the lump is hard, then it is called impacted or blocked crop. This can happen when they have eaten long, tough, fiborous grass, or something simillar, and it has got into a tangled mass that is too large to pass further down. I have also heard of a foreign body casuing a simillar problem, but this is very rare.

Treatment for a blocked crop is adding a lubricant and massaging the crop to try to help break up the blockage the contents so it can pass out of the chickenís crop and on down into the digestive system.

Oil from the kitchen is good option as a first aid measure, but I prefer not to use it for more than a day or two, as it will probably overload the birds liver if used longer term. Another option is liquid parafin (from chemists or vets) which, AFAIK, does not go through the liver and is simply expelled out the other end of the digestive system.

My vet advised me to use 2-3ml of lubricant twice a day, and massage the crop quite firmly for a few minutes afterwards. Use a syringe to give the lubricant, being careful to put the syringe past the hole at the back of the chickenís tounge. This hole leads to the lungs and if anything other than air gets down there this can lead to serious (often fatal) problems. I found it easier to get further into the chickens mouth with a narrow 1ml syringe than a larger one.

Avoid, if you can, letting the chicken eat anything which might add to the impaction during this time (eg more grass). Feeding soft, high nutrient food is good, as the impaction has probably reduced the amount of food the chicken has been eating the past few days and it could probably do with the extra nutrition.

If this treatment is not reducing the size of the lump, or has not resolved the situation after a week, or the chickenís health is deteriorating in any other way, then the only other treatment is to take the chicken to the vet for an operation to open up the crop and empty the contents. This is not a cheap option, and there is quite a high risk of infection afterwards because of all the bacteria in the crop, but it was successful for my chicken Tilly.

DO NOT try to make a chicken sick if you think it has a blocked crop (some books and websites recommend this). If the blockage is too big to go down, it is too big to come up!!

Sour crop:

If the crop is very soft and feels like a water filled balloon, then this is called a sour crop. This is caused by a fungal infection and all the extra liquid is the bodyís reaction to the fungus.

In this case the crop contents will smell awful, so another way to confirm this is the problem is to smell the chickenís breath, which can be done at anytime of the day. A bad smell points to sour crop. Sometimes they even reguritate some fluid themselves.

You can get rid of some of the fluid by making the chicken sick. If you do this you need to be very careful so the chicken doesnít choke as the fluid comes back. You do this by holding the chicken away from you, downwards, and pushing with your hand from the bottom of the crop upwards towards the chickenís head. Do several small attempts, rather than one big one. But if you do try this, you do so at your own risk (or rather, your chickenís risk).

Home treatment is by giving live, bio yogurt. Most chickens, given the chance, will eat this directly. If your chicken will not eat it give a teaspoon or two (5-10 ml) by syringe daily.

If this does not help after a few days, or if the chickenís health is deteriorating in any other way, go to a vet who will prescribe anti-fungal medicine.

If sour crop is left undetected or untreated long term there can be irreversable damage to the lining of the crop which will stop it working properly ie the chicken canít eat and there is no treatment.

Putting ACV and garlic in the water is thought to help keep the digestive system healthy and so can be used as a preventative.

#14033 - 06/02/07 12:30 AM Re: tumor on breast
Anonymous
Unregistered

i will check her in the morning. that will be in 7-8 hours

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2