Topic Options
#14517 - 04/30/08 09:55 AM Wrinkled Eggs
Ckvchestnut Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Canada
Hi all, ever since I got my Barnevelder pullet last September, I had not seen her on the nest and never knew which eggs were hers. Now I have seen her more than twice on the nest, and can identify her eggs because she is the only one laying these large weird, wrinkled eggs that look like she has deposited more shell all around the widest part of the girth of the egg. I did a search and found a few old posts on the subject and the only thing that remotely sounded relevant to my situation is stress. She is very flightly with people (I bought her caged as a started pullet) and at THE bottom of the pecking order. I am pretty sure she never laid prior to this due to her high strung nature and the possibility that all the other hens have been running her off the nest. A few days ago, I saw her in the nest and another hen just came near and she ran off squealing until the other hen left, then she went back in the nest.

What can I do to relieve this situation for her? I have at least 14 or 15 nests but as you all know, the hens only like to use a few of them. Is there anyway I can make more of the nests seem accomodating to the hens, like using something like curtains or fake eggs or something? I have seen 2 or 3 hens stuffed on top of each other somehow trying to lay in the same nest!

Occasionally I find the odd egg on the cocked up window as sometimes the hens roost on there in the late afternoon.

Let me know if anyone wants to see a pic of her eggs. Thanks smile

#14518 - 04/30/08 10:33 AM Re: Wrinkled Eggs
Dee Dee Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Maryland
I'd like to see a picture, have had "wrinkled" eggs myself in the past. Fake eggs sound like a great plan, and easy too.

#14519 - 04/30/08 10:39 AM Re: Wrinkled Eggs
IPF Offline
Coop Keeper

Fake eggs work very well. I've just made up a new bunch; I empty the contents of a real egg through a 1 cm hole in the big end of the egg, then fill it with plaster of paris (2 parts powder to 1 part water) then after it's set, seal the hole over with white (wood) glue. Then I have to use an indellible marker to put dots all over it, or I find myself mistaking them for the real thing. The hens, however, don't notice the dots.

#14520 - 04/30/08 10:53 AM Re: Wrinkled Eggs
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Indeed, you should put up "curtains" in front of the nests, and leave a plastic or extra egg in several of the nests--it may help the poor insecure hen find a nest she can call her own.

When I kept laying hens, I put a roost landing 1x3, in front of the row of nests. A slanted board on top of the nest boxes kept birds from roosting above the nests-and hung a burlap strip across the nest bank, with a slit in the middle of the entry for each nest. (Our feed always came in burlap bags--and I still have some). The hens just pushed into their favorite nest (I think there were 4 nests, at the time for up to 10 hens.)

A bird added to a small flock usually settles okay, in time, but some hens are never accepted, and spend their lives in fear and jeopardy.

When my family had a large flock of laying hens, my father had an interesting arrangement for the nests. Wish I had a picture..there were perhaps, 20 nest boxes in two banks (under the front of the droppings board and high roosts) for 150 hens. And there were 3 rooms in the Chicken House, each with same design, so the whole flock was divided into thirds. They had a hinged board in front of each bank of about 10 nests, competely closed in front, that opened down, for collection of the eggs. The bank of nests was open in the back , had a roost board for the hens to hop up, to enter the nests from the back, and it was fairly dark, but there were a few windows in the back, at floor level to give some light. The hens had good privacy and the eggs were easy to collect from the front. The row of nest boxes was attached at the top under the droppings board shelves that were about 5-6 feet deep, so a good floor area was under their shadow. There were several windows at floor level which gave some daylight in the back (although it was a wooded area behind the house). On the opposite side of each room, was solid "window" area, but in Oregon, glass was not needed and it was welded wire. There were canvas roll ups (like deck awnings) for coldest weather. I have never seen this arrangement in other Poultry houses--but the Industry's caged layer arrangement was not known in those days (thank goodness). I have used some of the design from those many years ago, for my small poultry houses!

For one hen--just some small remodeling might make all the birds happier. Good luck, CJR

#14521 - 04/30/08 01:43 PM Re: Wrinkled Eggs
Ckvchestnut Offline
Flock Leader

Thanks everyone, I'll try a bit of both, I think I know what you're getting at CJR, I have roosts in front of the nest but I don't have those angled boards on top of them. I should try that as well. I have noticed that the hens don't go around chasing the girl, she is accepted for the most part, when I am feeding or whatnot, no one bothers her, she is just plain highstrung! I have only seen birds peck at her when she is directly in their way of something but then I find they all do that to each other - whomever is underneath the others. It's all normal hierarchy. I'll post a pic shortly of the eggs, weird fat around the middle (don't seem thin or soft shelled).

#14522 - 04/30/08 03:06 PM Re: Wrinkled Eggs
Ckvchestnut Offline
Flock Leader

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2