Topic Options
#14549 - 08/06/08 11:54 AM Sour crop?
Fowled Out Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Arkansas
Can someone tell me if a sour crop smells like yeast bread? I have a couple of cockerals that have the fluid filled crop (one is the size of a grapefruit)and while massaging the one with the smaller size I smelled yeast. Is this a sour crop? Both birds are underweight, one terribly. The one with the large grapefruit type crop I've done just about all I can for short of going to the vet. Manually emptied a couple of times as much as we could, gave epsom salt flushes, mineral oil, yogurt, even hairball remedy in case he had an obstruction. Nothing worked. Crop just keeps getting bigger. He is pooping so he must be getting something in him although I suspect not very much. I'm now ready to try a few things with my other cockeral, but am wondering if sour crop is what I'm dealing with. By the way, as far as I can tell there is not any white patches on their tongues or mouth.

#14550 - 08/12/08 02:15 PM Re: Sour crop?
H. Cote Offline
Bantam

Loc: Massachusetts
I have a hen with a pendoulous crop too. She's been like that for 6 months now. She lays. I tried the epson salt treatment, apple cidar vinegar, yogert... nothing works. I understand that some chickens can live quite long like that.

#14551 - 08/12/08 09:51 PM Re: Sour crop?
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
You will find a lot of information on this topic if you use the 'search' function at the top of the page, right under Post A Reply. Search for sour crop as well as impacted crop because they are not exactly the same. I think. confused Good luck, put on your reading glasses!

#14552 - 08/18/08 09:58 AM Re: Sour crop?
Fowled Out Offline
Coop Cleaner

Yes, I've used the search function on this before but it didn't answer my question regarding the smell. I treated the one with the smaller fluid filled crop. We manually emptied it, which was rather easy with him, gave him a dose of mineral oil and followed that with putting some apple cider vinegar solution in his crop. The mineral oil seemed to unblock him and he was ready to eat the next morning. Kept him on the cider vinegar solution for several days, along with a little probiotic yogurt and he returned to normal. Couldn't do anything for the other bird though. Emptying him was almost impossible and not wanting to watch him starve we had to take care of him.

#14553 - 08/20/08 05:16 PM Re: Sour crop?
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Hi Fowledout:

You said there were no white patches in their mouths or on tongues. White patches indicate thrush, a type of yeast infection. However this type of yeast infection does not produce the yeasty odour of bread.

It is possible that if there is grain in the crop, sitting there and fermenting since it isn't passing through, then you could get an odour like brewing beer or malt based alcohol. Yeast, of which there are many types, is present in our environment all the time. So it is reasonable to expect that your chicken has eaten grain, and some wild yeast spores and has liquid in the crop too and is happily sitting there brewing a batch of moonshine. smile That is what you could be smelling. NOT any sort of yeast infection.

I do not think it is 'normal' to smell a yeasty oudour, but I think it would be possible if the conditions were right :warmth, grain, moisture, natural yeast = smell of yeasty fermentation. Still, not good news!

#14554 - 08/22/08 01:00 PM Re: Sour crop?
Fowled Out Offline
Coop Cleaner

Hi Uno,

Yes it smelled like yeast bread. He may not have had an infection but the mineral oil did seem to unblock him. He was passing more numerous and better looking stools after that dose. He's not the only one I have smelled this odor from. You may be right, they may just be making moonshine. Oh well, I kicked over his stil!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2