Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#14809 - 08/05/02 10:07 AM Bare Skin Treatment
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have some hens that have been getting bare-backed by the rooster because of mating. I've segregated them, but was wondering if anyone knew of a good healing cream,(vit.E, vasaline,etc....)that might help in rejuvinating the bare spots. I live in a high altitude area and am worried about putting vit.E oil or vasaline on them, (might sunburn). Any ideas?

Thanks!!!
Carolyn

#14810 - 08/05/02 01:47 PM Re: Bare Skin Treatment
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
I like Neosporin or the store brand triple antibiotic ointment. I'm not sure if that would increase the effects of the sun confused My chickens have had alot of it on them for many reasons. If the sun is a real concern you might try a sun block with aloe and vit.E. Now if your an over the top chicken person like myself. I made cloth back covers for a couple of my hens. I used a white cotten matterial and 1/4" elastic. It looks like a little cape on thier backs smile Then the sun isn't an issue and you can use what you wish. Our one hen is called Piggy and shortly after putting on her cape she came running out of the coop and jumped up on a bail of straw and flew off the other side. Now we call her Super Piggy and put an SP on her little cape. I said we're over the top laugh

Bill

#14811 - 08/05/02 02:02 PM Re: Bare Skin Treatment
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Bill! That is hilarious!!!!!
I know what you mean. I made little hats for my rooster Jimmy so that his comb won't freeze during the winter. Fashioned it out of the toe end of a wool sock and used elastic to go around under the neck. It works great! The neosporin is a good bet.
Thanks again.
Carolyn

#14812 - 08/05/02 02:08 PM Re: Bare Skin Treatment
Anonymous
Unregistered

You guys have got to take pictures and post them!!
Thanks, I needed the laugh!!

#14813 - 08/05/02 02:41 PM Re: Bare Skin Treatment
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would also love to see pictures! laugh
It's nice to know I'm not the only one "over the top" with my chickens! smile

#14814 - 08/05/02 03:30 PM Re: Bare Skin Treatment
Anonymous
Unregistered

I will eventually come up with some good ideas like yours to go "over the top" but so far I'm just glad to hear your ideas...

How about a new topic for silly things like that!? A good chuckle is always needed.

#14815 - 08/05/02 03:51 PM Re: Bare Skin Treatment
Kaalnek Online   content
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
I don't think they would need any treatment.. besides culling roosters if too many of them was the problem.

My turkens are naturally naked necked and they don't seem to develop any sun related problems.

#14816 - 08/07/02 04:17 AM Re: Bare Skin Treatment
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
If the backs are just bare with no sores, then there is no need to do anything. If there are sores, I would use an antibiotic cream. If you're wanting the feathers to grow back, you'll probably have to wait until their next moult.

#14817 - 08/07/02 05:09 AM Re: Bare Skin Treatment
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
I agree with Susie, unless they are bleeding just wait until the next molt. If you want to keep them looking nice then restrict the male's access to the hens unless you want to have fertile eggs (for whatever reason). Some roosters are worse at tearing off feathers than other males and it doesn't appear that it leads to increased fertility. I keep about 1 male per 8-12 females and rotate the males: some males just about destroy the feathers and with other males the hens seem little the worse for wear. If I still exhibited birds I would keep the sexes separated or bring the hens to the roosters if intending to show them, particularly at the spring shows (we really don't use the word 'cock' or 'cocks' anymore, do we...add some more words to the list of dis-used words like gay).

#14818 - 08/07/02 06:21 AM Re: Bare Skin Treatment
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

I just wanted to add another small comment. When you have bare-backed hens, please make sure you are checking under their wings often! Many times, once that feather protection is gone, the rooster's toenails will rip that fragile skin and those wounds are almost always concealed by the wings! So keep an eye on the bare-backs. I had one that had this a couple of years ago and I wasn't aware of the wound until it was a really nasty, bad infected spot and I couldn't save the hen at that point. frown

Susie

#14819 - 08/07/02 07:52 AM Re: Bare Skin Treatment
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll just have to wait, I guess. The rooster has been seperated from the hens and I've checked the hens all over. No sores or wounds under the wing, thank goodness. The feathers are already starting to peek through the skin. I even made some pasta and threw quite a bit of flax seed and flax seed oil in, that should help. In the mean time, I'm working on getting that pic out. My scanner's fritzin out. Soon!
Thanks!!
Carolyn

#14820 - 08/07/02 02:02 PM Re: Bare Skin Treatment
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Bigboy, For Showing Poultry, birds are entered in the classes for Cocks,(C) Hens, Cockerels,(K)or Pullets--still used regularly. In the south, referred most often as "cock-birds". To each his own. And I got tripped up on a request for "rooster eggs"--in my area after 60 years of poultry, I had never heard that term for fertile eggs. I thought the youngster wanted eggs that would hatch into roosters??? I told her I could not tell if they would hatch into roosters or hens!! Doubtless she though I was a crock! I am still learning!! -- CJR

#14821 - 08/07/02 08:52 PM Re: Bare Skin Treatment
Anonymous
Unregistered

I loved the cape story and the rooster's hat story. Made my day. I'll have to remember that this Fall.
laugh

#14822 - 08/08/02 04:22 AM Re: Bare Skin Treatment
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
CJR, I got a good laugh out of that one. What was meant by my addendum was that those words are not more commonly used rather than typing 'roos' or roosters. Is it that we are uncomfortable with them or is it that they are most often used by breeders and exhibitors, that is, as part of a professional lexicon like the use of bitch among dog breeders and exhibitors?

#14823 - 08/08/02 05:26 AM Re: Bare Skin Treatment
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

BigBoy,

For me and the places I've lived, I've only been exposed to the term "cock" with respect to cock fighting. Maybe that is the turn-off for me with the term. Before finding The Coop, I never said "roo". We've just always said rooster. Truth be told, around the house, we use our rooster's names -- those that we keep for breeding, since they are around a long time. When raising a brood and the males are going for meat, we call them cockrels.

Susie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2