Topic Options
#14892 - 10/30/02 05:02 PM 2 dead chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a wonderful flock of chickens and love them all. 2 have died in the last few weeks from WHAT I don't know. Can anyone shed some light on sudden hen death. They were both apparently healthy then dead. Is this common?

#14893 - 10/30/02 05:39 PM Re: 2 dead chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris

I don't know what might of caused this and don't know what part of California you are in, but there is Exotic Newcastle going around in your state. If I were you I would contact the nearest State Vet office ASAP and see if your area is affected. Do some reasearch on the net about it also so you will have an idea about what I am talking about. There is alot of information on the boards about this. Don't mean to scare you, but only mention this as a precaution.

#14894 - 10/31/02 03:35 PM Re: 2 dead chickens
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Chris

Sorry for your loss frown I dont think this sort of thing is common for small flock owners. Large commercial houses have it happen often. Can you give us anything else to go on. Even the smallest thing may help shed some light on this.

Bill

#14895 - 11/19/02 10:52 PM Re: 2 dead chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for responding. We have 16 hens all approx 1 year old and 1 roo (I was the one in denial till she!!crowed). Anyway, my first chicken problem was a girl who couldn't stant up, kept falling over. I found her between the feed storage bin and the fence about 4 inches width. I'm not sure how long she had been there as I don't do a head count every day. We put her out of her misery. The second death was completely unexpected. All chickens were fine, acting as usual, friendly, hungry at chow time, meeting me at the gate, then the next morning, my favorite big leghorn was dead right in front of the gate. I had to move her to open the door. We have a double gate system so our dogs never meet the chickens. I'm fairly sure nothing got into the pen as all appeared normal. I'm thinking she somehow got her neck broken, by what, I don't know. OUr roo is pretty young and bold but not mean or viscious. Any insight would be appreciated. I don't medicate them and feed hen schratch and laying crumble. they have plenty of water and plenty of covered area as well as open area.

#14896 - 11/20/02 02:14 AM Re: 2 dead chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wes, Los Gatos is up by San Jose. According to Longfeathers (with an "s") the cases of END have been recorded in San Bernadino county, the location of the 'lovely' Mohave desert. According to the good ol' Rand McNally, there is a distance of about 11 inches from Los Gatos and San Bernadino cty. smile

Hopefully its not END. Ive been reading up on it, and it sounds simply horrible. I hope it doesnt make it up in my direction.

Anyhoo, Chris, sorry but I cant shed any light on the situation either.
I did have a Crele OEG who choked to death, though. He was in his pen, with his ladies, healthy as can be. When I found him, he was stiff as a board and his mouth was slightly open. Found a fuzz leaf (young leaf - green) stuck in his throat blocking his air.
That might have been a possibility with your Leghorn?

Just an idea. I really dont know, but sorry!

Longfeather (no "s")

#14897 - 11/20/02 07:49 AM Re: 2 dead chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Chris. Just another idea here. Check your birds for chicken lice. Lice can suck the life right out of a chicken in just a few days if they are infested enough! The best place to look for them is around the vent area. Sometimes they are a little hard to see and will scatter under feathers to hide so check for them WELL.

Nichole

#14898 - 11/21/02 06:57 AM Re: 2 dead chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had one that had a congenitial bone weakness that broke its neck.If the neck was broken then that chicken would probably not be standing. However, could be that something hit her over the head?

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2