Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#15116 - 06/09/08 07:04 AM Yellow Poop, Sickly Chicken
Katherine Verman Offline
Chick

Loc: Vermont
Has any one had any experience with this? A Rhode Island Red suddenly became sickly and quiet, and my experience is she may be dying. I am cleaning out the coop and found yellow poop. I lost another chicken unexpectedly about 6 weeks ago. I don't know if there is any relationship, but that one never recovered from losing her feathers and was missing a large chunk from her tail feathers.

KV

PS It suddenly got very hot here - high 80's low 90's, and maybe there is a relationship.

#15117 - 06/10/08 07:27 AM Re: Yellow Poop, Sickly Chicken
Katherine Verman Offline
Chick

I am beginning to think it is the unseasonable heat. I now have two that are isolated, fans on them and very slow moving - both Rhode Island Reds. Any thoughts are welcome, K

#15118 - 06/10/08 07:48 AM Re: Yellow Poop, Sickly Chicken
Chicken Wired Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
Katherine--I had the same problem with my first of only two hens, a buff cochin. She displayed the same symptoms--bright yellowish, runny poo, somewhat lethargic and losing feathers. She abruptly stopped laying as well. I ran the symptoms by the forum, but no one seemed to be able to come up with a clear diagnosis. In my case, she started getting sick when I was having my house painted, and I can only assume that she may have gotten into some old paint chips or something else the painters left laying around. A day or two before she died, I checked her vent and found that it was very swollen. When I finally found a chicken vet to see her in my area, it was too late.
I still don't know what she had, and my other hen is fine. Maybe there's someone out there that can help us out with this? Could it be a type of intestinal parasite?
Good luck Katherine, I hope this mystery illness is treatable and your hen can be saved.

#15119 - 06/10/08 09:44 AM Re: Yellow Poop, Sickly Chicken
Katherine Verman Offline
Chick

Thanks so much - any one have any further thoughts or instructions? Much appreciated. I love my chickens! Katherine

#15120 - 06/12/08 05:15 AM Re: Yellow Poop, Sickly Chicken
Katherine Verman Offline
Chick

I am still trying to nurse two sick chickens - none have died, but the original sickly one is still very lethargic and even though the heat has broken, she still seems to have low energy, eats little, but does drink water. Her poop is runny and green now. The other one is more lively, though has a yellow bottom, due to yellow poop. I isolated the two for days and just let one, the more lively hen out to free-range by herself for awhile.
PLEASE, is there anyone out there who might know what else I might do? Thanks for your consideration. Katherine - Vermont

#15121 - 06/12/08 01:30 PM Re: Yellow Poop, Sickly Chicken
Bushman Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Wisconsin
You might try a tablespoon of natural apple cider vinegar per gallon of drinking water. It helps keep the water fresh. Be sure to change water at least daily, and twice a day in hot weather.
It seems to work for me. I think the problem stems from contaminated food and/or stale water, perhaps unclean water containers.
1 John 5:11-12

#15122 - 06/12/08 04:20 PM Re: Yellow Poop, Sickly Chicken
Katherine Verman Offline
Chick

Thanks, I will try that. Any other ideas out there. They are still alive, but one seems sicker than the other. Your perspectives are really wanted and needed. KV

#15123 - 06/12/08 06:48 PM Re: Yellow Poop, Sickly Chicken
P. Smith1340 Offline
Chicken

Loc: Oregon
If it is something internal, perhaps some plain yogurt would help? I've also heard a few times on here to put honey in water if chickens are to the point where they won't eat. Maybe honey on yogurt? I'm shooting in the dark, as (thankfully) none of mine have ever been sick. CJR or Rhea Dean may have some more helpful advice, but I would try the yogurt.

#15124 - 06/12/08 06:55 PM Re: Yellow Poop, Sickly Chicken
Katherine Verman Offline
Chick

I was just thinking, prior to reading this last entry, that a probiotic was in order and thinking of giving them yogurt. I also tried garlic flakes, as I think it may perhaps be some intestinal yeast problem and I heard garlic is good for dirty bottom and the like. I will try yogurt tomorrow. In the mean time I went out and changed water and put apple vinegar in the water - thanks so much. I hope they get better and not die as I had expected. I am grateful for the last suggestions. KV

#15125 - 06/12/08 10:00 PM Re: Yellow Poop, Sickly Chicken
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
1 teaspoon of honey to a cup of water will give an instant energy boost. This is often a great help if hens are reluctant to eat. Offer twice a day, instead of normal drinking water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2