Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#15126 - 06/13/08 04:59 AM Re: Yellow Poop, Sickly Chicken
Katherine Verman Offline
Chick

Loc: Vermont
Thanks so much for all you suggestions. I have given one of the more lively, but yellow poop bottomed chickens yogurt and honey and she ate it up. I am thinking she has recovered enough to join the the others because she is higher energy, eating, and the poop in the small nursing pen - where both were isolated - seems to be fairly normal at this point. The other is still so lethargic, does not eat and very yellow bottomed from poop. I offered her yogurt with honey, but she did not eat. I let her free range a bit, but slow and not really interested in anything. My question is, should I be patient and hope she recovers, or is this a case where I should cull her from the group? In the mean time I will try the honeyed water. Again, any thoughts are so welcome. Thank you so much! KV

#15127 - 06/13/08 05:39 AM Re: Yellow Poop, Sickly Chicken
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
I'd keep her separate for the time being, partly incase she infectious with something, but mostly because she will not be strong enough to hold her own if the others decide to pick on her, and they often do when a hen is ailing.
Is there any chance the yellow is egg yolk? Might she have broken an egg internally? If so you will probably lose her since infection is almost certain.

If not, there's still hope you can get your hen to recover. Try dipping her beak into the honeyed water and see if she will drink, or you can drip a bit at a time on the end of her beak. It's a very tricky operation to put it directly down the throat with anything other than a feeding tube, and oh so easy to send it the wrong way, so I don't usually recommend eye droppers or such like unless you are very skilled at using them. Try tempting her with small amounts of banana, boiled rice, cooked porridge (you can add a little honey to the latter two) Keep her in a quiet place. Good luck.

#15128 - 06/13/08 08:16 AM Re: Yellow Poop, Sickly Chicken
Katherine Verman Offline
Chick

Foehn and others - thank you so much. It is thrilling to think we are communicating across the world, and about chickens, no less! I do not think it is a broken egg, because the second one showed the same symptoms and their bottoms are drippy, encrusted and the like. I think it is more of a yeast, or bacterial infection from bad water, or the like - I feed them food scraps. We just had a really bad heat wave, and I imagine something went bad then. I will try these gentle foods - and she did drink some honeyed water this morning. I will be patient and continue to run a hen clinic. Thank you for your input and any further thoughts are welcome. KV

#15129 - 06/13/08 08:27 AM Re: Yellow Poop, Sickly Chicken
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
There is a TYLAN product for nonspecific enteritis. Powder, added in water for several days, can give relief IF it is a bacterial infection that reponds. ??? (Tylan also comes in an injectable form) Most all Poultry Supply catalogs list it, and perhaps your Ag center will have it? It is a possibility to help....Good luck, CJR

#15130 - 06/13/08 10:10 AM Re: Yellow Poop, Sickly Chicken
Katherine Verman Offline
Chick

I will look into this TYLAN product. Meanwhile I did try banana and rice and honey with some yogurt and both sick chickens ate it! I also noticed that the one I had released from nursing pen was attacked by other healthy hen, and so I put her back. Few, this is hard work! Good thing I am a teacher and off for the summer! KV

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2