Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#15250 - 09/14/04 10:28 PM Re: Soft-shelled egg....AGAIN...Now what?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Update: It appears whatever was 'up' with my girl (Belch) has passed or subsided. Is it possible that she just had a 'catch in her get along' and it worked itself out? She has laid one of her 'generous' eggs since the incident and if she stays true to her previous schedule I expect one tomorrow.
So is it possible that all might be well? Or will only time answer that question?

TC
cool

#15251 - 09/15/04 04:17 AM Re: Soft-shelled egg....AGAIN...Now what?
Sandy C. Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Australia
I would still give them the extra vitamins... as CJR said... a good layer pellet/feed has everything a hen needs.. but sometimes the hens just don't absorb enough of the vitamins and mineral or they don't eat enough... or the feed is getting old

It sure wouldn't hurt them to just give them an extra little help with the vitamin supplement for a couple of week

And TC... I personally would add just a little extra calcium to the girl who is laying those really big eggs... it must be taking the calcium level in her system down considerably, and just a few drops of cod liver oil on her beak to help her utilize the calcium would be a help to her I am sure... but the end decision is up to you.. this is just what I would do

Sandy

#15252 - 09/15/04 08:38 PM Re: Soft-shelled egg....AGAIN...Now what?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gosh darn it- My girl is acting the same way as Saturday night. Quiet, solitaire, 'slow', and is on the day roost just as before.
So in summary:
RIR 6 months. Laying since July 2nd.
Always produces jumbo, double yolk eggs at the rate of 1 every other day.
Always laid in the afternoon. The last egg of the day.
Saturday the 11th behaving as stated above.
Could not get to night roost (15 inches)
Remained on day roost.
Checked her @ 10PM. Found her standing above a soft-shelled, single yolk egg. After I removed it, she turned around. I checked vent area and gentle felt tummy area. She released a no-shelled egg.
Sunday morning she's a happy camper-ette.
Sunday afternoon she laid one of her LARGE eggs.
Monday fine. No egg.
Tuesday fine. No egg.
This morning fine. No egg.
6PM acting like Saturday and on day roost.
I am going out to check her now (8:30PM)
I will add to this post when I return.

I just need to know what to do. She looks uncomfortable. I am sure this was not what she had in mind. Should I isolate her? Could this be an odd hereditary thing? Is she ill?
I am certain it has something to do with jumping right into laying jumbos.
Also, her feathers are sleek and shiny. Her comb is nice and red. She is average sized (not overwieght I would think.)

Thanks again.

TC
cool

#15253 - 09/15/04 09:20 PM Re: Soft-shelled egg....AGAIN...Now what?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok- She is standing kind of 'tall'. Not hunched or penguin-like. Below her was a small 'pool' of what I can only describe as looking like baby spit-up. Sorry to those who may not be familar with it. Or...like mayonaise swirled in water. By small, I mean about the size of 2 half dollars.
I peeked at her vent and surrounds. I really didn't see anything unusual, but then I do not know what to look for. Suffice it to say, no blood. No leaking. No protrubances.
I can say her posture is more pronounced than Saturday night.
Any experienced advice would be appreciated.

TC
cool

#15254 - 09/16/04 12:52 AM Re: Soft-shelled egg....AGAIN...Now what?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mine seems to be cured.

I followed Sandy's advice (almost) and added cod liver oil to their pellets. Bingo, next morning and the one after, my dodgy hen layed the two best shelled eggs I've seen from her for weeks. Early days maybe, but the difference was remarkable. At best, the shells have been thin and chalky for about six weeks and the dog has had quite a few horrible 'things' delivered in what looked like paper thin polythene....

Not any more. Thanks Sandy

The other hen has never had any trouble with the pellets and does her stuff correctly every day, but I suppose individual hens will vary in their ability to make do on ageing feed as its vitamin content goes off. If I had fifty hens this wouldn't happen, but with two, the stuff lasts a long time.

Try the codliver oil on her Collective. Worked like magic on mine.

#15255 - 09/16/04 01:09 AM Re: Soft-shelled egg....AGAIN...Now what?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Collective wrote:

"Below her was a small 'pool' of what I can only describe as looking like baby spit-up."

Mine had exactly the same kind of leakage the other day. Next morning, she layed a fairly normal egg with a scrumpled up paper thin shell stuffed on the top. I peeled it off and found it to be the shell of an egg that had collapsed in the laying the day before. The following egg had pushed it out. It was more like scrumpled tissue paper than anything else.

Try the codliver oil thing Collective. I see on the bottle it contains Vits A, D and E. I think it was 'D' that Sandy said they needed to utilise the calcium in their food.

Check the 'best before' date on your layer meal. The vitamis are the first thing to decline as time goes on.

#15256 - 09/16/04 02:35 AM Re: Soft-shelled egg....AGAIN...Now what?
Sandy C. Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Australia
TC

I really think your girl is having all sorts of problems producing enough calcium to coat those large eggs... then she ends up with nothing left for the next one... she will end up with an egg stuck inside her... this is not a maybe this is a certainty

I really feel that you need to give her some extra calcium and some cod liver oil for her to utilize the calcium

Also if you are putting any Apple cider vinegar in her food please stop... this stops her from utilizing what calcium she is taking into her system

Sandy

#15257 - 09/16/04 05:49 AM Re: Soft-shelled egg....AGAIN...Now what?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good morning-
I don't give my girls anything other than what I listed in a previous post. I need to do something, so I will try the Cod Liver Oil. Pardon my ignorance, but is that something you get at the grocery, pharmacy, feed store, or vets?
I am off to the coop while praying she is not...I mean that she is better.

Later that same morning: Okay...she isn't better, but she isn't, I mean she IS alive. She looks a little 'fluffy', but perhaps I have never really seen the girls during the pre-dawn minutes.
Also, My layer pellets are good and fresh. And with 10 pullets, there's no time for it to 'age'.

TC
cool

Sandy- Please check your PM. tc

#15258 - 09/16/04 06:46 AM Re: Soft-shelled egg....AGAIN...Now what?
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
Young pullet get into a lot of problems when they start laying. THey lay doulbe yolkers, teeny eggs and other sorts of things. I double yolker takes a lot of calcium out of a hen.

In my setup I feed an all purpose 18% feed to hens which contains 0% calcium. They get all of it from a separate tin-can feeder with oyster shell or cracked egg shells. They see to be laying just fine. I get a soft shell egg rarely and only when I neglect to refill the oyster shells. Contrary to your experience my hens love oyster shells and eat lots of them, especially before they go to roost at night.

My climate is not all that different from yours, Collective, so availability of the sun to synthesize Vitamin D should not be a concern. Try feeding the oyster shells separately just to know how much they are consuming.

By the way, mine ate lots of oyster shells even when I feed them layer crumble.

Do yours have access to grass. I give my hens mowed grass every other day for vitamins. They eat what they want and abandon the rest. Maybe you can put some trace elements into the hens by feeding them a little bit of grass too.

I really do not know why things are happening to you. Theoretically you are doing everything right. Maybe getting rid of vinegar would do the trick. I never give mine any vinegar.

#15259 - 09/16/04 06:57 AM Re: Soft-shelled egg....AGAIN...Now what?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Aram_Seattle: Thanks for your concern.
I don't give them vinegar. I do have their oyster shell in a separate container, too. I guess I don't know how much oyster shell is normal for a pullet (or 10) to eat, but I don't see the level in the container going down. So that was why I was concerned.
Does oyster shell vary? Is there different brands which are more popular (better)? Or 'sizes' like grit?

TC
cool

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2