Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#15447 - 07/18/03 08:09 PM Re: crusty beak, blowing noses
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK, I have a vet apt tomorrow, but think I will cancel it. I am going to approach chickens with the same philosophy I use with dogs. If you want disease resistance, vaccinate and treat if you get something. Those that do not develope resistance are lost from a breeding program.
Next questions: can I still eat eggs while chickens undergo antibiotic(oxytetrocycline) treatment? Will eggs laid prior to outbreak hatch and will chicks exhibit symptoms? The roosters seem to have symptoms heaviest, but all are overcoming this. Now, would I really have had to destroy a whole flock of infected birds had I tested and had mycoplasma come back positive? And, living on a farm, with wild birds cleaning up spilled dog food etc, what is the reality of preventing such infections?

#15448 - 07/18/03 08:25 PM Re: crusty beak, blowing noses
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
I think the reality is if you baby the animals they will always be sick. Start pulling heads off sick chickens and or otherwise dispose of the sick and weak and you are selecting for healthy animals. I HAVE HAD CHICKENS FOR MOST OF MY LIFE AND NEVER EXPERIENCED ALL i HAVE SEEN people go thru on these poultry sites. My chickens have been exposed to all sorts of other birds at fights and shows and come back home and none get sick. How do so many get such sickly animals?

#15449 - 07/19/03 04:15 AM Re: crusty beak, blowing noses
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Brig

If your not allergic to penicillin then eat the eggs, there will be traces in them. Do not let others have them just to protect yourself!
Crd does carry in eggs. If your flock was exposed before showing symtoms then yes the chicks could have it. Do you need to destroy the flock? Thats an individual management chioce. What are you willing to deal with. We all do things in different ways. rob has a very practical approach, if you dont keep sick or weak animals and dont breed sick or weak animals then you dont have many sick or weak animals. Others go to great lenghts to try and cure the problems. Its not a question of a "right way" or a "wrong way" of manageing you animals. Its the way each of us feels is best for us.
Also, try sending a PM to D Caveny in reguards to Mycoplasa. He has sent me info on treatment of it and claims he has seen success with treatment. Good luck!

Bill

#15450 - 07/19/03 04:53 AM Re: crusty beak, blowing noses
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rob,from people not killing and then breeding sick birds or birds that have "recovered".
I too had not had any sick birds my whole life till one pair of birds came in w/ the mycoplasma.
Rob,if you got your birds blood tested you could be surprised.I'll bet my next paycheck that if your birds are as widely travelled as you say then they probably have several diseases you're not aware of...yet. Shows and fights are notorious places for diseases to spread,esp fights where the birds are exchanging bodily fluids.
Transmission of mycoplasma is vertical and horizontal in chickens,that is, contact w/ infected birds/feces/dander and through the egg
Briggadane,you're living a fantasy thinking you can breed this out.Your birds are not recovering,simply not displaying symptoms as much . That is what meds do w/ this disease,cover up the expression of symptoms, not cure it. It will get worse and the longer you keep sick birds the longer it will be around and that much harder to get rid of. There is NO treatment for mycoplasma that will cure it.Too late for vaccines but you may have to resort to that in the furture.
Eating your eggs won't kill you but it'll do what any unintended antibiotics consumption will do,create med-resitant strains of diseases that could be affected/treated w/ current technology.Most meds have a w/drawal time from eating.
If you insist on keeping your birds save the meds till winter when you'll REALLY need them as right now what you're doind is allowing the disease to evolve into a more med-resistant strain.FYI,I spent $400 in two mos/ last year treating 10 birds w/ antibiotics and to no avail. I just put them down as it was painful watchng them deteriorate.Sorry man,it definitely $ucks,ya got my sympathies, )

#15451 - 07/19/03 05:07 AM Re: crusty beak, blowing noses
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bill,in my quest for a cure for my sick birds I talked ,wrote to and communicated w/ professionl breeders as well as researchers. Although I had been told by some of the breeders that they had cured mycoplasma in one way or another they all had to admit to anecdotal evidence of the "eradication" ,ie;no symptoms,of the disease as none had the birds blood tested. Not to disrespect Mr Cavenys' wealth of knowledge but I'd have to see blood tests before I'd believe anything.All the researchers I spoke to indicated that there was'nt any cure. regards, )

#15452 - 07/20/03 02:43 PM Re: crusty beak, blowing noses
Anonymous
Unregistered

If wild birds carry mycoplasma, then I don't see the possibility of eradicating it in backyard flocks. I practice more biosecurity than most, but my flock is in no way safe from diseases carried by wild birds or eggs or day old chicks. I don't go to sales. I don't bring birds older than day old chicks onto my farm. I don't go into other people's chicken coops. But that is not enough. My birds free range in the yard at times and at other times are in an outdoor pen. No biosecurity from wild birds there. I just don't see backyard flocks practicing the strict biosecurity that the commercial operations do.

#15453 - 07/21/03 12:18 AM Re: crusty beak, blowing noses
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
Brig, you can do a search on "Mycoplasma" through the archives here at The Coop. This will give you views from a wider group of people. Another good website on general poultry health issues is: Shagbark: Poultry Health Articles
This site has a lot of great advice.

Bluedog,

I'm in a similar situation.

After a few days of heavy rain, I can wake to see a field of ibis, spoonbills, cranes & a couple species of ducks having a great ol' time feeding on all the goodies, in the same areas that my bantams forage. Not to mention flocks in the hundreds of Corellas passing over-by or cheeky Galahs & Sulpha crested Cockatoos, Red-tailed Blacks causing heart pulpitations to the bravest of roos. Scaley-breasted & Rainbow lorakeets feeding in nearby trees, Crested Pigeons making a dive for feed in the pens & Rails (from the nearby fresh-water lake), darting across clear grounds, after a morsal of grain. Not to mention the neighbour's pet Brush Turkey wandering in to chook city. No one messes with this turkey.

#15454 - 07/22/03 02:03 PM Re: crusty beak, blowing noses
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kaz,wow,that is some kinda cornucopia of avian life ya got there!
My sister lived down under for some years and she grew to hate the cockatoos that always chewed holes in her car tires. I guess they see it like chickens do styrofoam;just can't keep from pickin' at it.
I don't think or mean to imply all wild birds carry a strain of mycoplasma or other diease(thank goodness or we'd be in a load of trouble) but in areas where poultry is kept the transfer of diseases from one farm to another via wild birds can be an issue. This is esp true for feral birds like starlings and english sparrows which are particular to the company of humans.I don't know of any poultry keeper that enjoys seeing a flock of these winged rats descend on their yard, )

#15455 - 07/23/03 03:03 PM Re: crusty beak, blowing noses
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Brig

This topic sort of took off in the direction of mycoplasma, but lets back up to the basics. What is thier enviroment like. Inside or out: what type of litter, is there any chance of mold or exessive dust. Any standing water they might get to? Anything like that you can think of? BTW how are they doing?

Bill

#15456 - 07/23/03 05:54 PM Re: crusty beak, blowing noses
Anonymous
Unregistered

What ever it is, it is not spreading. Only my Yokohamas and Cochins have it. And it is not going away.
I collected my current chickens just since May. They came from all over. None of my birds are over 2 years old, only 2 are over 1 year.
My first trial for bedding was shreded paper. I then moved to pine chips, NOT saw dust. It is very humid in Northern Ohio, we have been having a monsoon for the past 2 months. The floors are damp, but I rake often to keep things dry. I have been changing bedding every few weeks, since it has not had a chance to truley dry out. Water is kept outside, under an awning. Food is in a dry area of the floor. I have 2 nesting box sets, a 15 hole with perches, and a 10 hole with no perches. Boxes have shavings in them, and they have stayed dry. The run is grass. I keep it mowed and they eat the clippings. The yard slopes down to a pond, so no standing water in the pen. Lots of dampness. I have been raking the muck away from the door as it accumulates from birds going in/out. Almost all birds are molting, even one of the sitting hens. A friend of mine who raises racing pigeons feels I have a weather caused respiratory infection? They are on antibiotics, so that may be why no-one else is coming down with this? Egg production has picked up again this last week, since temps are now in the lower 70's, but it gets down to the 50's at night...
Again, the birds do not appear distressed or unhealthy. Eyes are clear, no swelling or squinting. They just wont quit blowing/snorting. They are not, and never have, been sneezing.

I am still in a quandery. If I should have a blood test, and it comes back positive for any type of Mycoplasma, is it really best to kill the birds? My Yokohamas are far superior to most of what is seen today. It would be impossible to replace their quality. I have color and comb on mine. Most breeders of this variety are still working on this....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2