Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#15457 - 07/24/03 03:59 PM Re: crusty beak, blowing noses
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
You say only some have symptoms, but I assume all are kept together? I have one hen that has always had a runny nose since a chick. I have had blood test done and all is well. She blows and snorts and shacks her head at times to clear it. We say she has allergies but I dont know if chickens can have nasal allergies. Since you have several with this it would indicate that its some sort of desease. Weather its self can not cause illness of course, but rather cause a desease causing orginism to thrive. Thats why I mentioned mold as a posibility. If it is a fungus than antibiotics wont help and may make things worse. I would go for the blood test and then you will know. Follow any suggested treatment ( Baytril ) and then retest. So many things can cause congestion in chickens :rolleyes: confused . Good luck!

Bill

#15458 - 07/25/03 07:28 PM Re: crusty beak, blowing noses
Anonymous
Unregistered

Brig,well,"is it neccesary to kill them" is up to you. If it is mycoplasma you'll never get rid of it.Do I recall something about you breeding dogs? Ever heard of "kennel cough"? Sorta the same.As one of the folks on this board once said, and I take it as good wisdom,"you can deal w/ it now or deal w/ it the rest of your life".
Do the blood test on a bird that shows symptoms and a couple favorites(yokohamas etc...)to see how far it's gotten. If you have widely seperated caged birds some may avoid it but if they free range,ah,bummer.I wish you the best on this and a blood test will give you the best info on what to do.
Be careful about the Vet trying to sell you on expensive meds for chronic diseases.They may relieve some symptoms or prevent secondary infections but won't actually cure the problem...then again ,it depends upon the course of action you decide.
The fact that you got your birds from a variety of sources would generally not be a part of good biosecurity practices and would increase the chance of disease. If you have birds from different sources tested you may even see different diseases amongst the flock you have. It's depressing and amazing at the same time how many birds are diseased and what a rare and precious resource a healthy birds is. )

#15459 - 07/29/03 07:55 PM Re: crusty beak, blowing noses
Anonymous
Unregistered

I decided not to continue medicating after 14 days. The symptoms for MG were classic. Birds are gone. Took them in today. I am so sad. I discovered MG can only live 3 days max without a host. I am going to spray everything that came in contact with the birds with 10% bleach mix. I will be getting more chickens. I just have to figure out a good way to get started birds. I dont have what it takes to raise chicks from day olds. Hubby is OK with this as long as I get standard white eggs. Will post under appropriate topic for help on this.
Thanks to all for the help on identifying this. I would truly have felt bad putting the birds through such a sad life as cronic MG.

#15460 - 07/30/03 05:52 AM Re: crusty beak, blowing noses
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a whole new approach to snotty nosed chickens and other ailments,I isolate them treat them for 3 days, if I see no improvement its OFF WITH THEIR HEADS ! I guess I am learning the hard way[thank Goodness I am evidently not too old to learn],its just not worth my time to try to save birds that should be put down. I have tried most of the methods and treatments and now just do the hard deed and get on with it before the whole flock is infected.
Janet Tallon

#15461 - 08/03/03 11:17 AM Re: crusty beak, blowing noses
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow! Briggadane,that was brave. I was wondering what you would do. You have my sympathies as I went through it too.That was 5 mos ago and I'm still depressed about it.I've tried to re-up on birds but this mycoplasma stuff is so prevalent it's hard to find birds w/o it. I've had to send birds back to two breeders after blood testing showed their birds had it. This after they swore their birds had no illnesses.Both "experienced" breeders of 20+ yrs.
Don't be in too much of a hurry to get new birds. The 3 day life span w/o a host means free floating mycoplasma germs not embedded in oraganic material. If there are feces,feathers or other such matter about the disease can live for over 100 days.Also,most sterilants are neutralized by organic matter. Oxine is good but bleach is cheaper but ruins things,unlike oxine @ $40/gal. Formaldehyde is one of the most effective disinfectants second only to glutaraldehyde. Both can be purchased online or get formaldehyde from pond supply stores. REALLY nasty fumes though.
Shovel out the area and remove from the property or bury deep the contents of the coop or area where they stayed.
If they free ranged all dirt is suspect until after 100 days. Good luck w/ your new birds whne you get them.

#15462 - 08/04/03 05:46 PM Re: crusty beak, blowing noses
Anonymous
Unregistered

I cant live without the chickens. The day they left I came home and bleached everything- coops inside and out, ceilings and floors, GRASS, dust areas, nesting boxes. I filled a 20 gallon drum with water and bleach and dropped all waterers, feeders and equipment in. It rained in between. Then I mowed the lawn and bleached everything again, concentrating on droppings and debris I couldn't pick up. I even used a sprayer and bleached the chicken wire.
I found another flock and will have them tested this week. All appeat healthy, no discharge or any sign of what I had before. Hopefully this is over.

#15463 - 08/04/03 06:13 PM Re: crusty beak, blowing noses
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Best of luck to you!!!!!

Bill

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2