Topic Options
#15741 - 04/24/05 04:51 PM Black Australorp Comb: Why is it gray?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Chicken Friends,

My youngest hen, a black australorp that is about 5 months old looks a little funny.

Her comb is gray at the tips. I don't think this is from frostbite as it doesn't really get that cold around here.

Any other ideas?

Here are some pictures.

The side with the most gray:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/gallery/chickens-reloaded/black_hen_1

The other side... not so gray:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/gallery/chickens-reloaded/black_hen_2

Thanks in advance!

#15742 - 04/24/05 06:29 PM Re: Black Australorp Comb: Why is it gray?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Normal pigmentation-note the dark colour in her face. The comb will redden as she approaches point of lay.

#15743 - 04/24/05 07:28 PM Re: Black Australorp Comb: Why is it gray?
Anonymous
Unregistered

postwill, Thanks for the info. I noticed that my other girls have tiny little "gray" spots on their combs that I'm guessing are from pecking, fighting etc. I was worried when I saw that my youngest girl had a big gray splotch.

I look forward to her laying and seeing what happens to her comb!

Thanks again.

#15744 - 04/26/05 04:04 AM Re: Black Australorp Comb: Why is it gray?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rob,

I'm no expert for sure. But my chicken is almost 6 months old. About a month ago I began to notice little dark gray to blackish spots on her comb. They are very small and scattered about. I was worried that they were little bugs or ticks or some sort that had attached themselves. I took my glasses off and got a really up close look - the only way I can see since I'm so nearsighted - hoping she didn't decide to peck a taste of my eye. smile This is just the color of her comb, I'm sure now.

And she is no fighter. She's an only child...chicken I mean.

I think you picture looks like that is just the way she is. A normal color variation. But that is only a very non-educated opinion. I'm just learning.

#15745 - 06/04/05 11:57 PM Re: Black Australorp Comb: Why is it gray?
Ratbird Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
I have a Golden Campine, who, when she was about a year old, developed a large dark gray area on her comb. It is at the base and looks like a stain or a bruise. Now a year later, she still has it.

Not much help for you though, but I guess I just wanted to let you know that even though it looks odd and no one seemed to know what it was, she is in otherwas great health and has not slowed down a bit.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2