Topic Options
#15834 - 08/16/02 07:47 PM Limping Chick
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have 11 one month old pullets and I noticed yesterday that one of them is limping (she doesn't have bumblefoot and I'm not sure if she has sprained or broken her leg). She seems okay; eats,drinks,and gets along with the others but I'm still concerned about her. The vets in my area don't know much about poulty so I'm basically on my own. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could help her?

#15835 - 08/17/02 07:10 AM Re: Limping Chick
Tiny Offline
Bantam

Loc: Wisconsin
watch her We had a breeder hen that was limping and would not walk for a week and now hse is just find. It coulc be a pulled muscle.

#15836 - 08/17/02 07:40 PM Re: Limping Chick
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is the temperature in the brooder? A long time ago, I had some chicks that should have been off heat weeks earlier in a brooder (I was just starting out). I was watching the chicks one day, and one layed down and had a stroke or something. It had a bad limp ever since. She's been gone now for probably 15 years, but I've always remembered that chick, and have always brought new chicks off heat as soon as possible. I still dont know if heat had anything to do with it, but I really feel that heat and light caused enough stress to induce a stroke. Who knows?? I hope your chick improves, but it could be the same thing that happened to me. My chick did live a long, healthy life. Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2