Topic Options
#15895 - 09/12/08 09:32 PM 2 birds killed by something???
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
I've seen alot of cases of what's killed my birds, but I'm at a loss on this one.

1. We lost a hen last night that got her neck caught in the fence. Broke her neck. Nothing wrong with her other than that.

2. We lost 2 birds sometime last night or this afternoon. They were found INSIDE the coop. They, look like they were strangled to me. As in, compression around their bodies like what a rat snake would do. The feathers around their heads were smoothed down and one hen's eye was, excuse the term, popped out. Looks to me like rat snake right?

3. The other hen that was killed at, I'm assuming the same time as the other, is missing part of her head! The brain, face and beak are gone. Other than that her body is in the same "compression" style as the other. Why was one only left with a "popped out" eye and the other with no head other than skin???

Has anyone else seen their birds attacked like this?

#15896 - 09/13/08 08:08 AM Re: 2 birds killed by something???
Eric19 Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Michigan
I'm thinking that the one inccident at the fence was from a 4-legged creature, I don't know what. And the one inside the coop could of been a snake, no doubt. I don't know of any other creature that squeeze their prey like that (besides snakes). I know know how you feel, I had one of my hens cleaned inside out in the run one night. I still have no clue what did it.

Good Luck!
Eric

#15897 - 09/13/08 12:23 PM Re: 2 birds killed by something???
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Eric, that's what I assumed for the one in the fence. But there were no other injuries on her. No bite marks, nothing.

I thought for SURE the ones in the cooop were a snake, but again, why the missing beak, face and brain???

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2