Topic Options
#15944 - 06/10/05 06:01 PM infected swollen ears!
Anonymous
Unregistered

My hen has swollen, infected ears! They are building up with pus and are kind of scabbed up. Her poop is a little loose, and she had been lethargic for a couple of days. Yesterday I started her with antibiotics in her water, and have given her some cottage cheese, hoping the "good bacteria" will help. She's more active today, eating, walking around, etc, but her ears don't look any better. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I've also been cleaning the outer part of her ears with diluted betadyne and neosporin. confused

#15945 - 06/11/05 05:35 AM Re: infected swollen ears!
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Texas
I am not sure what stores you have there, but Tractor Supply Co carries, NFZ puffer, eye & ear infections in dogs and cats, surface wounds, cuts and abrasions. I have been using it for years on my poultry, its great to have on hand. A breeder told me about it. I use it in ears all the time to dry them up and regularly wash them out. Here you find it in with the cattle section, never pet section. Good luck

#15946 - 06/22/05 08:49 AM Re: infected swollen ears!
Anonymous
Unregistered

My hen is still suffering from this mysterious ear infection, but it is getting better, slowly but surely. Our vet, who specializes in birds, told me that she has never seen anything like this- where the ears are totally swollen and infected, but everything else is normal. I am very curious as to what it may be. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2